This Massachusetts news report is so perfectly, painfully Massachusetts

Originally published at: This Massachusetts news report is so perfectly, painfully Massachusetts | Boing Boing

11 Likes

That’s a wicked sad story.

15 Likes

It is a sad tale, well told. :cry: :joy:

6 Likes

Sounds like all my Springfield area relatives!

6 Likes

Matt, Matt, take hold of the reins on that steed. That’s what they’re there for. We don’t need another market tragedy.

4 Likes

Eh, the one on Boston Rd is bettah anyway.

9 Likes

and why is this supposedly “painful?”

1 Like

They missed a shot of the trademark sawdust on the floor.

1 Like

TIL how to pronounce “Billerica” :grin:

1 Like

If they closed my Market Basket I would be devastated.

1 Like

FWIW.

You rarely hear anyone say “wicked” anymore, and I’ve never heard a local say “pissah”, except as a joke. Seems like you’re more likely to hear the accent outside the city than IN Boston, which is way more cosmopolitan that you’d think, thanks to all the colleges, research hospitals and tech firms.

1 Like

Market Basket is an amazing story. The fact that the managers, workers, customers, and suppliers went on strike a few years ago to reinstate the CEO who was ousted by the board is ground-breaking. The CEO who was returned to power is someone who can be characterized as a trustee in Gandhian or nonviolent economics, an owner who acts as a trustee of the business for the workers, customers, suppliers, and community.

The fact that this unique strike has fallen down the memory hole is also striking. My notes on a book about this strike: Hubevents Notes: We Are Market Basket There are also at least two documentaries about it.

As Market Basket also usually owns the land for its stores which made it so valuable, one of the reasons why the previous board ousted the CEO, it was a little surprising to hear that they leased the land for this particular Market Basket on Boston Road.

A great store which has earned the love of its customers.

9 Likes

Because I live here and I’m still laughing so hard it hurts

7 Likes

The bass player for my high school band (circa 1985) used “wicked pissah” all the time, unironically. I was a recent transplant and thought it was weird.

Didn’t give it a second thought after graduation until about five years ago when I heard the word “wicked” coming out of my own mouth. It felt natural and horrifying at the same time.

4 Likes

A friend of mine, who had recently moved to East Boston from Buffalo, invited a coworker over for dinner. After dinner, he asked her how it was and she said "“wicked pissah”, and he wasn’t sure how to feel.

2 Likes

I work near by, here’s a comment from a co-worker:

It’s also difficult to use Dunkin’ as a reference when giving directions

6 Likes

TAH pits.

2 Likes

Every shot is perfect, up until the very end.

Don’t lie. We all secretly wish to do that.

4 Likes

Billerica? They’re not spelling it right.

1 Like