This massive cannon fires dead chickens at high speed in the name of airplane safety

Originally published at: This massive cannon fires dead chickens at high speed in the name of airplane safety | Boing Boing

1 Like

The Royal Canadian Air FARCE, however, has traditionally used it to ring in the new year.

7 Likes

Chicken McFlying Nuggets!

4 Likes

There is a story that I believe to be true about such a gun. Details are hazy.

An aircraft operator/manufacturer/tester or whatever in need of one of these devices, duly ordered one.

Upon installation, the new chicken-gun owner contacted the manufacturer to inquire about securing a supply of dead chickens. The chicken-gun manufacturer suggested using chickens obtained at a local supermarket.

The chicken-gun owner duly did this only to discover that upon first use, the chicken-bullet unexpectedly not only completely destroyed the aircraft windshield, but did substantial damage to the rest of the aircraft.

An investigation was instigated by the chicken-gun manufacture the result of which was a one-line recommendation.

Defrost the chicken.

15 Likes

Smarter Everyday: We built a cannon that fires baseballs faster than the speed of sound!

Canada’s Aerospace Research Centre: Hold my Molson.

2 Likes

Did they at least credit Mythbusters? That’s was old school, season 1 materiel.

1 Like

Are they sure it was a flock of geese that took that plane down?

5 Likes

The birds — always dead ones only

2 Likes

A Weapon to Surpass Metal Gear

With sufficient accuracy this device could be used to resupply chicken stores across the country - direct from the farm.

What did you do in the trade war granpa? I was a chicken gunner.

5 Likes

A tale as old as time itself. Or Tim himself. I can’t recall.

4 Likes

Cut to CHICKEN sitting in the barrel of the CHICKEN CANNON.

CHICKEN turns to camera and shrugs.

“Braaaawk! It’s a living.”

CHICKEN puts on helmet and slides down into the barrel of CANNON.

laugh track

4 Likes

Chicken cannons in airplane testing go back as far as 1968.
(Not that I would put it past a 12 year old Jamie Hyneman to come up with something like this.)

The version I heard in 1984 had the Air Accidents Investigation Branch at RAE Farnborough giving the advice to Americans.

I would like to offer some carcasses of certain feral chickens in my neighborhood. to whom may I speak at the NRC?

with that out of the way, may I say that a 17.25inch barrel could shoot a gotdam butterball turkey!

1 Like

I remember hearing that story as an undergrad Aerospace Engineering major in 1987. I suspect it is apocryphal.

1 Like

May I present…

The Great Gonzo debuts Cirque du Poulet - an act that attempts to make chickens fly (using rocket technology and gun powder); however Crazy Harry gets carried away and blows the chickens up.

3 Likes

Keep an eye on those people. That’s how Gerald Bull got his start.

One day they’re firing chickens, the next someone says “what it we use a sabot around the chicken with a base bleed to cut the rear drag?”, and the day after some other country’s hypersonic missile gets taken out by a bird strike – from behind.

4 Likes

I was a cow gunner… Used a cattling gun
(out I go)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.