This moving collage of wind-up toys is magical

Originally published at: This moving collage of wind-up toys is magical | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I have nightmares like that. Thanks…

5 Likes

And the music is Hank Williams, Jambalaya. Of all songs …

1 Like

My grandma had that “Charley Weaver Bartender” toy (actually battery-powered); you can’t see in the video, but when he raised the glass to “drink”, not only did his nose light up, but smoke came out of his ears.

(The Charley Weaver character was the invention of Cliff Arquette, grandfather of Rosanna and her siblings, and appeared on many television programs in the '50s and '60s, before settling into his accustomed spot in the lower left corner on Hollywood Squares.)

7 Likes

That was a truly wonderful thing.

And I loved the soundtrack, especially.

1 Like

damn i really want one of those Charley Weaver, Bartender toys now for our bar. that’s even better than the Drinky Birds we have now. i bet if you can find them, they are expensive.

1 Like

As an enjoyer of things bearish, I loved the reading bear and the one who cleaned its glasses.

3 Likes

If your willing, perhaps we can work out a deal…

1 Like

I got some strong Cyriak vibes when the pair of dogs walked in and reversed at 2:02!

1 Like

seriously. it’s so great.
are you serious? a working one? i’m all ears.

1 Like

Watching it I continually flip flopped between enjoyment and pre-terror for the nightmares it’s going to induce tonight. But I found the soundtrack lovely, one more thing that will come back to haunt me.

Why scrimp and save? There’s a 30 minute video with the wind up toys in a real parade, and flying in space, robots marching through town, the works

2 Likes

I’ve been re-reading Neil Gaiman’s American Gods, and this fits very well with the feeling of kitsch Americana that suffuses the first half of the book.

1 Like

I do that every few years…

Just before the Plague Times, I saw one of these in a local antique/junk store. I hope he finds a good home.

1 Like

That was neat! And only a few capable of being possessed by a demon.

1 Like

wixxer-der-21-rcm260x260u

1 Like

I failed to see any that couldn’t be.

1 Like

Not the turtle or bartender. Everything else is fair game per my copy of the handbook.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.