This nickel could save your life

Hey, nickels is money too guys.

2 Likes

Sure, but what’s that going to run us in today’s prices? Not to mention the cost of human lives during Phase II: Testing.

Couple more nickels. You may have to layer more of them as they, like everything, likely aren’t what they used to be.

At least in Phase 2a you use clay substitutes.

1 Like

Clay substitutes for nickels? You, sir, have some off the wall ideas but I like that nothing is sacred.

3 Likes

Wait, this wasn’t paid/sponsored content?

Oh, do you find it confusing? The operators don’t, so things are fine.

Woah, I was quite freaked out by magnetic north being way further south than I thought it was, but I’m pleased to find out that it isn’t really.

That image seems to show magnetic north as below 60ÂșN, which it hasn’t been in at least 100 years, if ever. It’s way closer to the pole (nearly 3000 km closer), around 86ÂșN right now.

3 Likes

Heh. Sounds like that’s not true any more. (admittedly, at the time of writing this blog, only west of Penzance, which really isn’t very much of England at all)

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2014/01/magnetic-north-is-on-the-move-again/

Speaking as a local navigation nerd, actually a deck officer for over 20 years, we call the difference between True North and Magnetic North the “variation”. We take that off the chart. But each compass has it’s own “deviation”, which varies depending on the direction that the ship is heading. Of course, you do not get a number for a nickel. But we take the compass bearing +/- variation +/- deviation = True bearing. East is added, west subtracted.
The variation changes at a known annual rate, which is marked on maritime charts. You just look at the year of the chart and apply the correction. compiling a deviation table for a compass is fun and involves a bunch of circles and figure eights.
We also can check the compass by taking a bearing on sunrise or whatever from a known position.
And that is all I have to say about that.

9 Likes

If you loop a piece of thread around the groove of the coin and suspend
it freely, the “heads” side will always point to magnetic north.

Seems more like: if you find what looks like a good length of thread, and then try it out and cut another length of thread because the first one was too short, and then spend a few minutes fiddling with the thread trying to get the coin to suspend freely, and then look for the coin when it rolls away after you drop it, and then finally get it set up and wait for it to stop spinning, no wait it’s still spinning, has it stopped spinning yet, yes, no, wait, there we go, the “heads” side will point to magnetic north briefly before you accidentally move your hand too much and drop the coin again.

7 Likes

Cool. I have a few magic trick coins, like a 50 cent piece that can swallow copper Mexican coin. It is amazing what they can do to make them work and fit perfectly.

I see a future episode of some tv show using this. If you didn’t already spoil an episode of Burn Notice, Macgyver, Leverage, etc

2 Likes

Declination is the landlubber’s term, variation the mariner’s, probably to distinguish it from deviation. The rule is often expressed as Compass +/- Deviation = Magnetic +/- Variation = True. It’s remembered by the mnemonic Can Dead Men Vote Twice? Going in the other direction (from a True bearing to a Compass bearing) the mnemonic is Timid Virgins Make Dull Company.

1 Like

Nickels is money.
Money is speech.
Speech is free.
Therefore: nickels are free.
Question: So where are my nickels?

3 Likes

I’ve left them scattered under vending machines all across the land. I just hope you get to them first.

1 Like

The Canadian Mint does a lot of CRAZY COOL coins!

Like the prehistoric creatures with glow in the dark skeletons.

Or the superman series:

Some of them are just stunning!

9 Likes

Those are amazing. The interesting thing about the poppy quarter is I understand it’s the first ever circulating colored coin.

I guess these wouldn’t be as likely to show up in your regular change which is kind of a shame. But at least they won’t get scratched up from regular use.

Oh yeah, Somalia has a bizarre set of guitar shaped coins. Supposedly legal tender, but how do you make change?

3 Likes

16 Likes

wow those guitar coins are super cool!!

i get the poppy quarters in my change all the time, you are correct they were general circulation not collector issue. many of the general circulation coins have really cool designs.

2 Likes

Somalia has money? I thought they just bartered in cans of beans and child brides or something

Seriously, don’t they have more pressing things than making “collectible” coinage to sell to foreigners?

1 Like