This nickel could save your life

When your local currency is flirting with hyperinflation, selling anything that people pay for in foreign money probably looks like a pretty solid idea

6 Likes

This comment reminds me of this song:

The reason the coin acts as a compass is due to the nickel it contains being magnetic. This makes the background stock photo a little bit ironic, since the 1942 nickel didn’t actually contain any nickel, as it was being reserved for the war effort. Nickels made from 1942 until 1945 were 35% silver, 56% copper and 9% manganese. Thus, the 1942 nickel shown would not function as a rudimentary compass.

1 Like

You don’t keep Special Money just cause?

I’ve kept these for years.

4 Likes

Perhaps, but then you’d have this irresistible urge to face north.

Here, and I thought the UP of Michigan held the title of “The South of the North”.

Oh yah, yoopers, eh?

1 Like

I think I have a Gretzky coin from the 90’s packed away somewhere in my closet, which was kind of cool. But the dinosaur coins are simply spectacular!

1 Like

Yeah, it seems strange but some of the most unstable or even just poorest regions of the world produce some of the most interesting currency because selling it to foreigners is a way to raise money. The guitar-shaped coins aren’t even the worst example of that. The disputed territory of Transnistria has issued the first ever circulating plastic coins, and Somalia (again!) issued “coins” in geometric shapes.

1 Like

The numismatic me is cringing at how those bills are folded.

Well - I guess lots of places do the same thing with stamps as well.

I have a huge wad of $2 bills my mom saved me, though one of them is actually a Silver Certificate IIRC. Then I have a big box or two of coins form around the world from mine and my friends/families travels, and just stuff I have found.

I used to collect pennies. I still keep any wheats, war nickles, or silver coins.

5 Likes

Whoa, it’s just like religious authority! Bishops, how do they work?

1 Like

You gotta watch out what the Bishops are rubbing against things, that has gotten them into a lot of trouble in the past.

4 Likes

Really? It is all on purpose. (Perhaps a bad, flawed purpose)

You have a silver cert?? They are the coolest because of the failed silver backed money pushes.

(I still loove my Eisenhower dollar, my gpaw gave it to me on my birthday and it was minted on my birthday)

I THINK. I could be wrong. I remember the seal thing is red not green… maybe it’s just old?

Regardless, as an ex money collector, that is badass. It is so hard to find old pennies, or nickels in circulation these days. Seeing a $2 in circulation is like seeing a unicorn. Seeing a cert for metal in circulation would make me literally squee.

4 Likes

We have a $2 bill here. Not sure where it came from.

I got one before, I registered as a twin when I got my driving licence and Udub sent me one to try to convince me to join their study group. I would have, but my sister couldn’t exactly come in to take part.

3 Likes

The bank? They’re still legal tender, even if they’re weird.

I like the Sacagawea (sp?) “gold” coins. The San Diego Trolley system keeps them in circulation. Feed it a bill, it gives you back golden coins! :smile:

I really like the 1 and 2 Euro coins. So pretty, and I love that they have their nation-of-origin’s design on them.

#Shit

I left it at home. I have the Adams on me though.