This nickel could save your life

Nice post!

I love it when one of our smart members uncloaks to share an obsession with us. I guess you weren’t cloaked. (shut up!)

I like to carry a Morgan dollar:

Nobody sees heavy silver coins in circulation anymore, so you can walk around flipping a big silver coin like that and just the silver ringing in the air will draw attention.

5 Likes

Ok here’s a tip.

Keep Lincoln cents that are 1981 or older. Each one is worth about $0.03 in copper.[quote=“Mister44, post:56, topic:70211, full:true”]
I THINK. I could be wrong. I remember the seal thing is red not green… maybe it’s just old?
[/quote]

There are older notes with red seals. These are real American dollars (Unlike…). The notes with green seals are Federal Reserve Notes, and silver certificates get blue seals. Gold notes get yellow seals.

3 Likes

i haven’t seen one of those outside a coin shop in years

1 Like

Do you know how to increase the worth of an euro?

Drill four holes into it and sell it for two euros as a button.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Those are lovely. I’ve made a couple but they never turn out as nice as theirs.

Since you all are already geeking out over coins… :slight_smile:

I have a bunch of silver and gold certs, and bills and coins from all around the world. I have ceramic coins from germany after the first war, nazi coins, pieces of 8 from a ship wreck, a few coins from ancient greece and rome. coins from ancient china, ancient israel, etc.

ironically despite having a number of coins from BCE, my most valuable coins are from colonial america, minted in the colonies before the US gained its independence, due to their rarity and the collectible market for them.

my favorite coin is a faustina coin, i like it due to its weight and that it is copper, i have a fondness for hand cast heavy copper coinage. (center of the picture below)

not everything are strictly coins, i have subway tokens, and war rations, commemorative coins, etc.

6 Likes

Your denarius is lovely.

2 Likes

I laughed. I cried. It was better than Cats.

Seriously, everyone should read that link ^

For just about any thing, if it is flat and you can drill a clean hole in it then you can make scale mail with it.

5 Likes

can dead men vote twice at elections (add east)
true virgins make dull company at weddings (add west)

Cool.

I have been thinking about getting one of those grab bag of old Roman coins. I realize they aren’t worth a lot per se, but having something THAT OLD would be super cool.

1 Like

I have a bunch of old, expired credit cards. Is that the same thing?

3 Likes

the history of them makes them pretty neat.

i don’t ever plan on selling my coins my daughter can do as she pleases with them when i’m gone, so they aren’t really an investment for me, rather just a hobby.

i do have a collection of counterfeit coins and bills, not tourist knock offs, but ones that were intended to pass as real. I find them fascinating, even though they exist in a legally grey area. i keep those in a separate binder.

i imagine in a generation or two the collector value of all coins will go up because no one uses them anymore.

1 Like

Got any hobo coins?

1 Like

i wish, i drool over some of the skull ones. guess i should make that a priority.

really i’d love to carve my own, but like most happy mutants, my want to do project list is bigger then my want to read book stack! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.