This online comic shows how pick-up artists morphed into the alt-right

I had such a crush on Ally Sheedy.
I will say it probably helped that being at an engineering school the women there were a bit nerdy and geeky too.

12 Likes

Who didn’t?

11 Likes

Surely you can’t expect a nerdy/socially awkward/non-conventionally-attractive guy to settle for a nerdy/socially awkward/non-conventionally-attractive woman.

If a person was blessed with a penis at birth then it is their God-given right to have regular sexual relations with someone who is an “8” or above.

11 Likes

Oh… did I happen to mention that mentality also just assumes that all nerds are also White, as well as male?

13 Likes

Not a specific person, but when I saw “Clockwork Orange” at the cinema, the guy sitting directly behind me was very excited by the scenes where Alex and his droogs beat people up. A disturbing presence to have just over my shoulder.

5 Likes

Another great example of the point flying over someone’s head, for sure!

6 Likes

The fact in my post is that it was already described in a book written in 1885.

In a thread about pick up artists, that does not surprise me.

This being said, I read the seduction groups for a short time about 15 years ago and there was a section for women who wanted to pick ip men. So you are right.

We have been previously told by the mods that we are not to engage one another; or have you forgotten already, in your pressing need to try to dominate/muddy the waters in this topic?

I honestly don’t care if you’re in agreement with anything I’ve said.

Please abide, and don’t address me again.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Oh, well if it was written in a piece of fiction nearly 140 years ago that must make it an unassailable fact and in no way perpetuating a trope or stereotype.

12 Likes

I think it boils down to a fundamental lack of empathy. A person who is susceptible to the PUA, INCEL mind set views women as things not people. The alt-right mind set is just a broadening of that lack of empathy to include people of color, liberals, people in poverty, etc. in addition to the women they already hate.

When a person views only themselves as having worth, hurting others becomes a very simple thing.

11 Likes

­

9 Likes

I was just thinking this morning about the whole Clemson/hamburger thing: the president really acted just like some kind of 17yo loser boy who got to invite the cool jocks over to his house and wants them to think he’s cool too.

10 Likes

The weirdest, most ironic thing about Gekko to me is that his famous “Greed is good” line comes from a speech where Gekko actually is the good guy.

Ultimately, yes, he is a bad guy, a personification of Wall Street’s '80s excesses, but there and then, Gekko’s actually on the side of the shareholders and workers of Teldar Paper, against the bloated and inefficient management that’s been running the company down for years.

2 Likes

The term “Incel” itself was coined by a woman, to describe not fitting in.

The hate came when it was layered with angry thwarted entitlement as it was co-opted later.

6 Likes

Sadly (And sometimes dangerously), a lot of people find it too easy to blame others for their own circumstances, instead of trying to change much of anything about themselves.

10 Likes

I just meant that if it was described in a book written in 1885, it must have been observed at the time. So it is not a modern social development.
The fact is that it is described in a book, nothing more. You are trying to argue that I would present as a fact that it is not a stereotype (I think that is what you are saying). I don’t say that. I am just saying it was reported in 1885, so it is not a new phenomenon.

I am not so sure that there is a strong link between the “pick-up” scene and the incel scene. I understand that incel groups are formed by men complaining about lack of sex. Pick-up groups appear to be mostly formed by men boasting their successes (real or imaginary) and their gurus. I am not so sure that there is that much overlap between the two.

Whew, you might want to have a conversation with your local librarian. Maybe start with, “Are all the people in these novels real?”.

Your point has some validity in that there has clearly always been men that feel entitled to sex, throughout history.
But a single character in Zola is not hard proof that, in this generation, the Pick-up artist thing didn’t inform a second modern-day internet sub-group.

9 Likes

The character in Germinal does not feel he is entitled to sex. He is an engineer and does not get any sex, but feel sex urges. There is no nothion of “entitlement”, which would not make sense at the time in any case.

I was not speaking about men who would be feeling entitled to sex. Maybe that is the reason why we do not appear to understand each other.