This online comic shows how pick-up artists morphed into the alt-right

Your point is that a fictional character in Zola’s Germinal was horny?

You’re right, I must admit to having difficulty seeing the relation to: This online comic shows how pick-up artists morphed into the alt-right

I think the rest of us are? And that’s kind of the point of the comic, too?

10 Likes

But… But… How, then, is one to have ALL TEH SEX? Eh? Eh?

3 Likes

Technically there is nothing stopping incels consenting to have sex with other incels, other than themselves.

10 Likes

The point of the comic is that pick-up artist groups evolved into the alt-right. I am discussing exactly that and I do not agree with the comic. I find it poorly researched and find that it conflates several movements which only common point is that they concern men, but which appear unrelated to me.

For the record: I am not trying to defend “men”, having sympathy for pathetic behavior, etc… I just discuss the comic and find that it appears to be a poor representation of the situation.

1 Like

A modest proposal… :grin:

3 Likes

No, the point of the comic is why PUA groups have become social centers for the alt-right. PUA social groups, members, terminology, and influencers being a part of the alt-right is already a fact.

9 Likes

Sure there is. Both are comprised of men responding all too readily to the pervasive encouragements of a domineering patriarchal social order to treat women as reflections of themselves, rather than as equal, full-fledged human beings.

11 Likes

I doubt that it is a fact, do you have references beyond that comic?

Specifically: I doubt that they are the same men. They may have terminology and some influencers in common, but that does not imply that there is a large overlap between their memberships.

You don’t have to believe the comic.

I’ll mark you down as “PUA men and Alt Right men are totally different people and have no connections”.

I feel like the comic made a better argument for there being a connection, though.

5 Likes

There is one. It’s a subset of the manosphere called “PUAhate”, and serves as a way station between the PUA group and the incel one. PUAhate seems to made up mainly of failed PUAs who are bitter that all those “surefire” techniques didn’t work for them.

As the comic accurately describes, the misogyny and tendency towards extreme-right views is consistent throughout all three sub-groups as well as the others (MRAs, MGTOW, etc.).

11 Likes

Not enough evidence… /s

11 Likes

“I don’t think I’ll be really convinced until I hear it in the form of a song, preferably sourced from the 17th Century. Alto or tenor, your pick.”

9 Likes

For some, there will apparently never be. But here’s a bit more from the SPLC on how the connection developed:

However, [PUAs’] often predatory, cruel and inconsequential advice on how to manipulate women sometimes disappoints its practitioners. Men who felt deceived by these seduction methods but still felt entitled to sexual attention from women eventually gathered on the now defunct “anti-PUA” website PUAhate, or the still live Sluthate.com. They call themselves “involuntary celibates,” or incels.

9 Likes

I mean, they are men after all, so they get the benefit of the doubt automatically… usually until it’s too late and a woman or several people or more are dead. But HEY, got a defend that privilege, right? /s

8 Likes

I’m just glad that behaviour grounded in this misogynistic conservatism and traditionalism that was seen as “harmless” and “just the way it is between men and women” is finally being addressed and acknowledged as the toxic phenomenon it is, both here (in re: the manosphere and metoo) and abroad:

Catcalling, unwanted advances and frottage are not expressions of sexual liberation and sophistication, they’re just creepy and menacing.

10 Likes

Yes, and it’s too bad that it didn’t have years sooner. Change comes at a glacial pace…

7 Likes

The SPLC?! Give me a break, don’t you realize they’re secretly funded by George Soros and a bunch of other Jews?

mutter mutter, mustsomehowattackthemessenger, etc.

/s

7 Likes

“I tried all the PUA strategies, and they didn’t work. It must be some kind of plot!”

Poor babies can’t even win the game using cheat codes.

3 Likes

There not even cheat codes, just disgusting ways of humiliating women into sleeping with them. Fuck that noise.

11 Likes

If only that kind of fucking were enough to satisfy them.

7 Likes