This particular song is perfect any time day or night, scientists report

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/11/16/this-particular-song-is-perfect-any-time-day-or-night-scientists-report.html

3 Likes

If this is the case, my entire catalogue should be dominating streaming services worldwide, and yet… :crazy_face:

(I laugh, because I would cry if I did not)

2 Likes

Apparently they don’t take lyrics into account. I think that’s one of the creepiest mainstream pop songs out there.

15 Likes

The song really hasn’t aged well, has it?

4 Likes

All day enjoyment?

There’s a tantric sex joke in there somewhere, but it’s taking me a while to get to it.

6 Likes

Sorry, the correct answer is Duke Ellington’s “Portrait of Mahalia Jackson.”

2 Likes

“[Every Breath You Take is] a very in-the-middle type of song,

No argument there…

3 Likes

I would rather never listen to music again than have to listen to that song every day.

12 Likes

Perhaps, but stalking is a round-the-clock kind of activity.

7 Likes

I’m just going to leave this here…Champagne & Reefer - YouTube

It’s just not that good a song. I knew it all along. And now it’s been scientifically proven!

I would agree that it’s equally appropriate at any time of the day or night: always unwelcome.

Hate the 80s guitar effects for one thing. Apart from the obvious issues pointed out above.

this song is always good but I like it best when its played at weddings

4 Likes

a very pleasant, perhaps even a bit bland song.

Not this version:

But, yeah, the original wasn’t exactly bland in intent.

1 Like

What a missed opportunity for a rickroll. I feel like Lucy’s pulled the football away…

1 Like

Except we know not to bother clicking the link.

I find it’s creepiness is apparent at any time.

3 Likes

Better at any time of day or night, particularly relaxing.

ISWYDT

Perhaps try “stalking”,. . I’m assuming this is a tantric technique:

Sting himself said of the song

“I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it’s quite the opposite.”

So it’s less that the song “didn’t age well” so much as “it took a lot of people way too long to recognize the author’s original message because the lyrics were sung to a catchy melody.”

6 Likes