This photographer shot the birth of her own child

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/03/this-photographer-shot-the-bir.html

5 Likes

Did they name the baby Shutterbug?

5 Likes

Yep fresh and messy. They all look like that.

19 Likes

I was one once, back in the old century.

11 Likes

Wow, I guess even babies get all wrinkly when they’ve been in the water too long.

6 Likes

These look at photos of my kids people are getting out of hand

4 Likes

Interestingly, I was just reading on Twitter this morning about some doctors who had performed their own appendectomy. One to prove that such a surgery could be done under local anesthesia, and one because he was in the antarctic and the only qualified person to do so. So while I know quality photography is hard in general, and I don’t need convincing that it’s extra difficult after childbirth, this is still, unfortunately, the least impressive [blank] did their own [blank] story I have seen today.

On a related note, if you can find a tolerable social media platform to do so on, you should totally check out Lindsey Fitzharris, providing you have a strong constitution. She’s awesome.

1 Like

That’s a great story and made even more remarkable that it was almost 60 years ago when surgery was not as advanced as it is today under less than ideal conditions.

https://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/igy1/appendix.html

As for photographing your own child’s birth, I have to say that while I’m sure it was special for her, I personally have little interest in seeing it - nor the inevitable Facebook livestream video.

Honestly I think the women who gave birth to her own grandchild deserves the best [blank] did their own [blank] story of the year.

4 Likes

Pics I don’t mind so much. A live stream… pass. Got to see it once and that was enough.

5 Likes

I witnessed my son’s c-section. I tell my wife that I’ve seen parts of her that nobody else ever will.

18 Likes

Phew! I was worried that I might be able to sleep tonight.

2 Likes

I wonder what Marshall McLuhan would say about someone mediating their own child’s birth. And I thought people looking at a concert through their cell phones while recording it were missing the point.

8 Likes

The Circle of Life: wrinkled old man ⇒ photogenic ⇒ delightful terrors ⇒ cute kids ⇒ monsters teenagers ⇒ shouldn’t you be studying? ⇒ when did you become an adult? ⇒ how much is this wedding going to cost? ⇒ achievement unlocked: grandkids! ⇒ haha, the chickens have come home to roost ⇒ we’re buying a house in your city to be closer ⇒ sure, honey, we can babysit…again ⇒ youth is wasted on the young ⇒ when I was your age… ⇒ BRB, kids on the lawn ⇒ you’re lucky your kids call you ⇒ achievement unlocked: wow, great grandkids! ⇒ this new doctor seems nice ⇒ yay, my guilt-ridden kids are visiting again! ⇒ achievement unlocked: life well lived.

7 Likes

Hey, the medium is the message after all.

4 Likes

aw look, it’s got my perpetual facial expression!

2 Likes

“PUT ME BACK!”    

7 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

This headline is like one of those optical illusions that changes if you stare at it. I’ve misread it as “photographer shot her own child”, “shot the birth canal of her own child”… I guess my subconscious is hung up on the murderous and pistol-packing nature of new mothers. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I’m just hoping she didn’t feel compelled to film the conception.