This powerful, versatile cordless vacuum works like a Dyson at half the price

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/15/this-powerful-versatile-cordl.html

Blech. My mother in law has one of these cordless stick vacuums and I used it the other day. Dyson or no, they’re super-top heavy and you need arms of steel to vacuum for more than five minutes. If you need to pause in vacuuming, you can’t really lean the vac against anything (again, top heavy so it will fall down anyway) or lay the whole thing on the floor.
If you want something small that you will use for only a few minutes, you might as well get a dustbuster/hand vacuum. Otherwise, get a canister vac or a heavy upright.

4 Likes

Doesn’t anyone read the latest Amazon reviews before offering these deals? Over the last 90 days I would say most all are 1 star…

3 Likes

Some vacuum cleaners are made to be attached to your back like a backpack. You might be able to rig up a messenger bag style shoulder strap for this one, to take most of the weight away from your arms while still letting you maneuver it.

2 Likes

Good idea, but if I’m going to invest in a household appliance, I don’t want to have to do any jury-rigging. It should be fine to use right out of the box. Thankfully, I don’t need to vacuum for my mother-in-law often.

1 Like

Those are awesome.

2 Likes

I suppose if you subtract the gym membership savings you might come out ahead.

1 Like

Um…yeah. ALL bagless vacuums “work like a Dyson”, FFS; Dyson invented the cyclonic system they all use.

“works like a Dyson at half the price”

so it’s considerably less functional than other vacuums, and still overpriced?

My wife bought a Dyson “Animal” some years back at an exorbitant price, and well it sucked. Then it broke, and Dyson won’t sell you a replacement part, and only “approved” repair shops can get the parts. Repairing our meh on functionality vacuum would have cost about as much as buying a new Hoover, so that’s what I did. (and it works better and has lasted longer than the Dyson).

1 Like

Bought a Hoover H-FREE 100 two weeks ago. €99 + VAT.
Haven’t used it a lot so far, especially haven’t emptied or cleaned the “bag” yet. So not enough data for a review right now. Handling seems alright so far, as does the quality.
Planned use case is “handy alternative to the real vacuum for small ad hoc jobs”.

Product page:
https://www.hoover.co.uk/en_GB/cordless-vacuum-cleaners/-/catalog/39400918/hf122rpt-001

$200 buck? Cheaper than a Dyson is not much of a deal. It’s just a vacuum.

We paid $99 for a B&D rechargable stickvac that we use to clean wood, ceramic, carpet, and even patio pavers. It is light and is amazingly poweful. You can removed the guts which becomes a poweful hand vac for getting at crevice dirt.

I bought a Dyson DC07 in 2003, and it still works like new. Some of the plastic bits have broken over time, but I never had a problem finding replacements parts online, as well as repair tutorials.

Half the price of a Dyson is still a lot.
Sucking power aside, which would be a fraction of the sucking bin I bought years ago for like €70, how much does cost a new battery pack? With charge duration as short as 15 minutes at full power one should probably buy a couple more packs, so I wonder how much do they cost and how long they will be in production. Batteries degrade over time and usage, especially under heavy load such as a motor, and under fast charge cycles, so the day the manufacturer stops production the device probably has one full year max before becoming an expensive paperweight.
Many of us would probably know how to open it and stick a diy 18650 or 26650 based battery pack with charging and balancing circuitry, but normal users would want the thing to just work for years just like any wired one without having to hack it.

I would rather be interested in one with standard 18650 cells receptacle so I’d have something to supply with all those cells I recycled from laptop battery packs over time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.