This pre-packaged "DIY Mixtape Kit" is $69

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/18/this-pre-packaged-diy-mixtape-kit-is-69.html

3 Likes

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

Jokes aside, I appreciate this (maybe small) trend back to analog. Film cameras – or even digital point and shoots – are also slightly on the rise. I think it’s a positive trend of young people rejecting needing to use a phone for everything. Hopefully some are getting fed up of seeing adults everywhere glued to their devices, and will start a real culture shift of rejecting that.

2 Likes

Ah, remember the good old days of deciding which song you could do without so you could fit a whole album on one side of a c90

7 Likes

Kids these days…

Emma Stone Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

They mocked us, old ones, and now they pretend they are cool doing what we did last century. What will be next? Printing zines?

9 Likes

We should totally make zines!!! :grin:

5 Likes

I used to make one in my days…
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

7 Likes

Mix tapes and CDs are fun creative exercises, i particularly enjoyed making CDs and would even put in some sound bites and skits from shows in between songs just to break things up.

5 Likes

I loved to make covers for my tapes and CDs.

5 Likes

Agreed… but this thing just seems like a weird cash grab?

2 Likes

100%. But i guess if it sparks interest in a young kid in tapes thats cool

3 Likes

Apparently, there is already a renaissance happening with cassettes?

4 Likes

Unless you are moving very large volumes, cassettes are the most profitable format to release your music on.

I like making mix CD’s for road trips and holidays. Listening back to them years later instantly brings me back to the time and place.

3 Likes

Only if your audience have the means to play them, or are prepared to drag out their player from under the stairs.

Next thing they will be bootlegging gigs and selling cassettes from suitcases outside Camden Market.

3 Likes

And I love the use of the term “cassingle” - it was the first ever, and I owned at least a dozen.

1 Like

I’ve got one of these somewhere, from not long after that:

Apparently a lot of new cassette players only have mono heads (even if they have 2 speakers)- so any mixtapes recorded on those won’t be in stereo.

4 Likes

This company must be using two different time machines if the plan is to use an 1/8th inch analog out to connect your phone to a tape recorder.

Your computer should still mostly be safe.

1 Like

It’s a quantum interface, obviously, and then AI will do the rest.

1 Like

Nice! Sadly I think I ditched all my cassettes when I no longer had anything to play them on - including my Art Of Noise ones :sob:.

Weird coincidence - I saw Lene supporting Men At Work exactly 5 years ago tomorrow - she had turned 70 that March and still kicked arse:

Colin Hay (Men At Work) was also sounding in fine form, really took me back to Business As Usual and his solo stuff.

1 Like

I mean, cassette recorders look to be roughly $30-35 on Amazon right now, although they all look very 90s so I don’t know if this is overstock that has been sitting in a warehouse for decades. But either way, yeah, there’s clearly quite a bit of a markup. But I still appreciate their marketing and contributing the the hype for more analog gear. And wise kids will go and find those old recorders.

1 Like