This retro Space Alien Organ Trader game is awesome 8-bit gallows humor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/this-retro-space-alien-organ-trader-game-is-awesome-8-bit-gallows-humor.html

2 Likes

Minimum Windows 8? For a retro game aesthetic? /me is disappoint

Looks fun, though. Someday when I upgrade, looks promising.

3 Likes

I like the aesthetic, a lot.

1 Like

Takes me back to Privateer 2. Flying from planet to planet with a gunship, trading materials. There were good and bad aligned planets and depending on what you carried it put you at risk of attack. But one of the most profitable was running organs and bio-materials from a particular planet. It always put you at risk of being attacked by planetary security forces… Oh how I loved that game, and the arching tracers of blaster fire in space!

1 Like

If you’re talking about win7 then i’d be willing to bet it’ll still run, i think that’s just there to cover them because they’re an indie dev and don’t have the resources to test it under all circumstances. Plus you have the Steam refund policy if it doesn’t work.

2 Likes

Sweet, I did not know that, thanks. I still use 7. I got this computer in 2010 and it is still chugging along happily, and plays pretty much everything I have wanted to play, anyway. The inevitable will happen eventually, though.

1 Like

I tend to look in the discussions a lot when new games come out to see if people are asking about this very thing and so many games that list win8 as a minimum do usually run on 7. I will often stop reading when the thread inevitably descends into insults and making fun of those who dare to ask the question.

3 Likes

I don’t take offense at it. I am admittedly weird. I’ve replaced the power supply twice and the graphics card twice. I guess there’s a bit of that Japanese idea of tsukumogami in my thinking. It bothers me to discard things that I have history with.

Sometimes I am kind of surprised myself. My car is 15 years old, my phone (Note 3) is still my old reliable at 6 years old. It’s a personality type, I guess. If companies relied on people like me upgrading there wouldn’t be many companies.

2 Likes

I see nothing to be ashamed of there, if more of us didn’t want the newest, shiniest thing all the time then maybe we wouldn’t be polluting the damn planet with so much e-waste. Not to mention exploiting the poorest countries to mine all the precious metals that go into them. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I mean, I hung on to Win XP as long as I could before I was forced to upgrade OSes, even though I had 3 different computers that ran on it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.