This robotic tank will crawl through your gut

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/28/this-robotic-tank-will-crawl-t.html

2 Likes

Not a fan of this gritty reboot of WALL-E.

12 Likes

Pretty sure you mean shitty not gritty…

8 Likes

But it is still tethered so not much different from a colonoscopy except there’s more pull than push and I guess the tether is less rigid… ok, some differences from current colonoscopy.

5 Likes

11 Likes

They should just train gerbils.

5 Likes

Is that why…
Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 17.46.44

6 Likes

First thing that pops to my mind:

Robot tapeworms. Peak 2020.

Edit to add: Having been subjected to innumerable colonoscopies, this is an option I would very much like to have!

7 Likes

Not a fan of this gritty reboot of WALL-E.

Pretty sure you mean shitty not gritty…

Next on twitch plays Endoculus, judging people’s diets.

2 Likes

I suppose this would be good for the small intestine, which AFAIK can’t be reached by endoscope. As a frequent customer of these tests, however, I suggest that the scoping itself is not the problem. The problem is the prep beforehand. Perhaps a slight modification would take care of that unpleasant task.

11 Likes

I read this headline and looked for “Boing Boing Shop” to follow.

7 Likes

I’d try one for fun, but I can’t imagine how much one of these would cost on a hospital bill. I think I’d rather save my money for when the undulating soft-bodied models are available.

2 Likes

I’m not quite sure how to process my reaction to this statement.

:innocent:

2 Likes

I recently had my left kidney removed. The surgeons use a da Vinci surgical robot. Its basically a teleoperation system for working on bodies. The end result is cleaner and more precise than you would get with a surgeon working directly on the body.

Around the same time, dozens of older people started dying in our nursing homes, largely because covid-19 was spread horizontally between different institutions by casual workers. It occurred to me that if we replaced those workers with teleoperated robots (say cleaning machines), remotely controlled by the same people, then we could eliminate infection and save a lot of lives.

So I love things like this. Robots will save our lives, just as our antibiotics start to fail and new viruses try to attack our populations.

1 Like

The little robot gut-tank will forever be known as G.I. Joe.

14 Likes

Holy shit.

2 Likes

Today on a very awful Boing Boing Shop,

3 Likes

Not Stinky Pete?

2 Likes

Fantastic

1 Like

Its in for quite a voyage.

2 Likes