This 16-foot endoscopic camera makes home improvement projects a breeze

Originally published at: This 16-foot endoscopic camera makes home improvement projects a breeze | Boing Boing

1 Like

this looks perfect for that home colonoscopy kit i’ve been working on. bring on the miralax.

27 Likes

See also: Rule 34.

(Or, don’t.)

11 Likes

I have so many questions.

15 Likes

Playing Doctor just got real.

17 Likes

I think shit did too.

12 Likes

Oh, home improvements.

Never mind.

11 Likes

I’ve tried these things multiple times before for various projects: running cable up through a crawlspace, looking down a wall chase, investigating a drain pipe blockage, etc…

Verdict: They’re more trouble than they’re worth.

Since you can’t easily control the orientation and direction of the tip, inevitably you end up with the camera wedged up against the the inside of the wall and see nothing but a big blur surrounded by a halo of light. Like what happens when you put your phone down on the table with the camera still on. Trying to make sense out of the image is frustrating and pointless. Better just to go by feel instead.

5 Likes

A 16ft endoscope would be unusually long. In theory, you could use 2 of them and meet in the middle. In practice docs typically stop at the ileocecal valve or the duodenum.

I’ve had the joy of observing both types of procedures as part of my job. A colonoscopy is usually the less humiliating of the two. Watching semi-conscience people gag while trying to swallow the scope to check their stomach is cringy. Though not as bad as the time a co-worker and I observed the colonoscopy of another coworker we both worked closely with.

“Hey Frank, remember the time we saw up Steve’s ass?” (names changed)

If you want that same experience, this scope is for you.

6 Likes

“hey dude, whyn’t ya show jerry that funny trick you do with your colostomy bag?”

4 Likes

We use something like this to do hive inspections, when weather is bad (cold, or rainy, or we are in a hurry and don’t want to open the entire set of supers, etc.) or when the hive is inconveniently located inside a house wall cavity, roof and ceiling cavity, pillar, abandoned stove, water heater, wooden cable spool, water meter, owl nesting box [all of which were places we rescued bees from].

Bees are funny. They don’t just build their hives in bee boxes.

7 Likes

Indeed…

I got one when I dropped a bolt where it was otherwise inaccessible. I think my other options were leaving it there or blindly stabbing at it with chewing gum on a coat hanger. Orientation and visibility was difficult, but it worked. I’ve thought about other uses, but haven’t actually used it for any other things.

But what black magic enables the camera to record the bee’s eye when looking at the bee’s butt?

7 Likes

Order now and we’ll throw in 3 FREE tubes of OptiLube!

In your end-o-scope.

3 Likes

I remember speaking to a nurse friend about my reluctance to get a colonoscopy. Her words that day helped me put things in perspective.

Her: Why don’t you want to schedule your colonoscopy? Are you concerned about people getting in your ass?

Me: I mainly don’t like the idea of going under sedation but, yeah, the thought of people getting “up in my business” is troubling as well.

Her: If you blow this off and it is later determined that you have colon cancer all sorts of people will be up in your ass.

Her words hit me like a ton of bricks. I made the appointment right away and came back with a clean bill of health. Thanks for the pep talk, Nurse Tammy!

7 Likes

11 Likes

Aren’t these are guided by cables? Sort of like the ones that move car side windows around. One of these home-use endoscopes would be more useful if you could guide it the same way.

Years ago, before family members were routinely barred from the procedure room, my wife got to see mine. The doctor used an endoscope with a student’s second viewer. (Now it’s shown on TV.)

She said it was interesting.

ETA: fixed typos (4 of them, geez)

1 Like

The camera is pointing at the bee’s backside, while transmitting a view of its face.
Not a quality product, unfortunately.

1 Like