This rolling pin makes perfect pie crusts

Originally published at: This rolling pin makes perfect pie crusts | Boing Boing

Aw, there’s no robot attached to it? :weary:
[sighs, rolls up sleeves]
Wait, I’m sensing a theme/series of hints here… :pie: :drooling_face:

6 Likes

FWIW: we also got this rolling pin and I guess we got a bad one, because the pores in the wood were INCREDIBLY open and textured, which made it very tacky and difficult to use with pie dough - you want a pretty smooth rolling pin to discourage sticking. I suspect that with the good reviews I’ve seen around that this might be an anomaly, but caveat emptor or however it’s spelled.

3 Likes

Headline should read: “THIS ROLLING PIN TAKES ALL THE FUN OUT OF MAKING PIE CRUSTS”. :rofl: :rofl: Pretty easy to roll out a fairly uniform pie crust. Also you should never roll out a pizza crust.

1 Like

I have a marble pin, which is pretty smooth and had minimal sticking issues.

Though it has a wooden dowel handle which now makes me want to whip up some rings to add to the handle …

3 Likes

I got one of these as a Christmas gift and was actually really excited about it. I used it all of 2-3 times before I set it aside and then, years later, gave it away. I don’t remember sticking issues necessarily, but as @kperkins said, it’s not that hard to roll out a uniform crust. Having to decide in advance how thick to make the crust, attach the right set of wheels, and have another thing to disassemble when I could simply do it exactly the way I wanted with a no-assembly-required rolling pin seemed pointless. Plus, having the wheels on either end of the pin meant that I was sometimes cutting bits off of my dough as I rolled it – it is not a short rolling pin, it is not terribly long, either. I know that’s more a volume and technique problem than a rolling pin problem, but it happens.

4 Likes

So does the bakery!

3 Likes

… can also be used as a knife sharpener?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.