This soup has been simmering for 45 years in a Bangkok restaurant

Nah. Homeopaths would take one drop from the previous day’s soup and add it to a pot of water. After 45 years, it would be amazingly powerful!

8 Likes

Our cassoulet has been cooking for…
16,052 days

1 Like

Some rough math. Assuming diners consume half the broth in a day, that at the start of each new day they top up to 50L, and that the broth is pretty homogeneous, on average there would be only one original molecule of soup (soupium?) in the pot at around day 87.

Using similar methodology above, after about a year you would expect only one original soupium molecule in a soup pot the size of the universe.

17 Likes

Youngster.

5 Likes

In Memphis you can get a burger cooked in 100-year-old grease. It’s delicious.

2 Likes

There are places in France that have had the pot au feu simmering for centuries, and it’s usually terrific.

[ETA: And it’s like this board. Things are in a perpetual stew around here.]

5 Likes

1989 smelled a little like sweaty socks.

1 Like

I can’t say why, but I immediately thought of the Kung Fu Panda secret ingredient soup.

4 Likes

Great idea to attract hipster wannabes. The thought that it has “… a unique flavor…” is laughable.
BTW, all that stuff about generational sourdough starter? Scientifically proven to be nonsense. The amount of stuff that floats in the window, landing on each day’s batch, quickly overwhelms any “original” culture.

I wonder if any of the large molecules adsorb onto the surface, react with things, stay there for years or decades and then, with some swish of the spoon, get scraped off.

2 Likes

I’m stewing right now

7 Likes

So how many pots rusted through and had to be replaced during that time?

1 Like

Lol’d at soupium. What do you think its half-life is?

4 Likes

Rust requires oxygen. If it’s never emptied and the build up of grease and fat shields the iron content from the free oxygen in the water, then it may never rust.

4 Likes

Historically, not all that uncommon:

I’ve thought about giving something along these lines a go with my crock pot for a week of two, but never done it.

7 Likes

Not sure why, but this triggers a memory of that scene in The Emerald Forest where the Invisible People drink the potion made from their ground-up ancestor’s bodies, in which they in turn become the potion for future generations.

2 Likes

From 45 years worth of nonstop cooking…

2 Likes

And while they hopefully run an otherwise clean kitchen, it’s hard to imagine nothing untoward has ever fallen in.

2 Likes

Dust most certainly has, at the very least.

2 Likes

Dead and dried human skin cells. Yum. /s ಠ_ಠ

2 Likes