This soup has been simmering for 45 years in a Bangkok restaurant

"Secret's in da sauce..."

8 Likes

soon enough…the amount of housecleaning beef bullion mycoplasma blowing in through the window means that any tripe in a pot quickly turns into a rainbow frap hydrogel, decorated with a foam and crystals of any heavy metals in the water. [Sips, checks off whole millenial food chart at once, winces for an hour and is fine.]

simmering for 59 years

Telomeres are hard, let’s fiddle with the heat to stay young!

11 Likes

That reminds me. Last summer up in seattle it was badly smoky for several weeks due to forest fires.

Someone at work mentioned they saw a video on live leak of a deer getting consumed in the inferno.

I made the tactless remark: "oh yeah. We’re definitely breathing a lot of dead animals right now… "

8 Likes

Flossy are you a barista, by any chance?

6 Likes

No, I have coffee ice cubes and OJ ice cubes in the fridge, but haven’t had the nudge to concoct anything. [Aloe plant by window has identity crisis, wondering when its sacrifice will come.]

9 Likes

Mine too!

8 Likes
12 Likes

As long as it hits boiling… Meh…good food is good.

3 Likes

I might be convinced to try a spoonful. But as someone who’s eaten some decidedly strange fare, that would likely be my limit. But I’m happy others enjoy it.

1 Like
4 Likes

“This, milord, is my family’s axe. We have owned it for almost nine hundred years, see. Of course, sometimes it needed a new blade. And sometimes it has required a new handle, new designs on the metalwork, a little refreshing of the ornamentation . . . but is this not the nine hundred-year-old axe of my family? And because it has changed gently over time, it is still a pretty good axe, y’know. Pretty good.”

― Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant

12 Likes

If the world’s your oyster after one night, What does 45 years of simmering get you?

3 Likes
2 Likes

move over, Stephen Hawking; we’ve figured out the true nature of the universe.

2 Likes

“No soup for you! Come back next decade!”

3 Likes

Soup of Theseus

3 Likes

Dyer’s in Memphis. Pretty sure this was debunked at some point but hey why let the truth get in the way of a good burger.

Burgers Cooked in 100-Year-Old Grease

Field review by the editors.

Memphis, Tennessee

The secret of the tasty-taste of Dyer’s hamburgers, according to Dyer’s Burgers, is that they’re cooked in the grease that the restaurant started with back in 1912. Or at least some of that grease (The restaurant adds fresh grease to the old grease every now and then). To its credit, Dyer’s Burgers has been very protective of its grease over the years, moving it under armed guard as the restaurant has relocated to various Memphis addresses.

If you feel uneasy about burgers fried in “ancient grease,” the restaurant does say that the grease is strained every day. So it’s clean 100-year-old grease.

1 Like

Reminds me of “army coffee”. A large 40ish gallon pot on a burner in the middle of the mess tent. Just keep adding water and ground coffee to keep it full. Could go for up to a month without emptying. You learned to not dip the ladle too deep pretty quickly.

It was coffee, ergo, it was good.

4 Likes

But to them, this the the soupiest soup there is; soup essence!

1 Like

Delicious?

2 Likes