This soup has been simmering for 45 years in a Bangkok restaurant

I suspect the original soup is more a nod to thrift than being exclusive (“I liked generational soup before it was cool… as did my gandparents before me.”)

Agree on the sourdough starter, though. After an unfortunate accident with a cheap jar, our own summertime starter (age:a few weeks) was reduced greatly in volume, where we only had a few spoonfuls left. Slow-brained me finally figured out that it didn’t make sense to try and maintain a big colony, and I’ve never liked the discard-half wastefulness of the classic sourdough magic spell. Now there’s just a few ounces in a jar in the fridge, and when we bake, a spoonful or two is plopped into wet flour and left to sit overnight in a covered bowl like a “seed” to get things going.

I figure it’s exactly the same priciple as using packaged yeast in dough and letting it prove – the packaged stuff and the sourdough seed have a numerical advantage over airborne spores, and colonize first.

Is there any reason to keep a lot of unused started around in a massive crock for months or years? So far I haven’t found one.

One night of e. coli makes your colon crumble

5 Likes
1 Like

You’re all wrong! How dare you dilute the true teaching of homoeopathy?!

It would, of course, not only be diluted but each time shaken (not stirred) and knocked on the leatherbound writings of Samuel Hahnemann!

2 Likes

Balsamic too.

Chinese cuisine has the same thing:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/滷汁#Chinese

However, it’s far more likely that they boil what’s left at the end of the day into a thick “gravy” to be used as starter of the next day’s marinade.

3 Likes

And that coffee came in a variety of flavors. Burned, bitter, and burned AND bitter.

2 Likes

Our Italian neighbors growing up used to do this, but with a pot of red sauce supplemented with whatever the dad brought home from work (he was a butcher). I liked it when it was pork chops and spaghetti :spaghetti:

1 Like

At any given time, how much of what’s in the pot 45 years old?

I don’t know, but whole bacterial civilizations could have risen and fallen in that time

2 Likes

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old;
Some like it hot, some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

1 Like

The broth of Theseus. Somebody needs to throw that shit OUT.

2 Likes

I read this in the rhythm of “One Night In Bangkok” and that sounds pretty neat.

1 Like

That was the idea

2 Likes

It will slowly dissolve from above and rust from the hot o2/h2o/Co2 mix from the gas burner below. I predict a potmium half-life of… oh never mind.

1 Like

com-add-text%20(1)

3 Likes

This made me think of that Simpsons Tree House of Horrors episode where Lisa grew a civ on a tooth in some soda :sweat_smile:

That’s also a recurring theme in historical ship conservation. If more than 80% of a ship has been replaced piecemeal, is it still the original ship or a faithful reproduction?

Any interest I might have had stopped at “…tripe and other organs”.
Ewwww.

That’s the problem with these guys… when you dilute their teaching it only makes it stronger in their mind.

(I’ll let myself out…)

1 Like