This suture practice kit would be a great birthday present

I just banged my head on a wooden toychest, some blood. It was the first time I got stitches, complete with some hair shaved. I think it was around Christmas, so I.connect the holiday and the smell of the antiseptic together.

1 Like

I remember those. They were hell on your fingers if you accidentally let the lid drop.

1 Like

Actually, being able to do basic suturing is pretty useful. I keep some suture material in the home first aid kit (veterinary sutures, but it’s actually the same exact stuff as human sutures), and have used it twice on myself, and once had to have my wife toss in a couple of sutures on my forearm (dominant hand arm). If you’ve got a minor wound that probable needs a couple of sutures, and you can clean it well, you’re probably just as well to do it yourself (rather than pay$$$ at an urgent care facility or emergency room).

Also, my stupid dog sliced her leg open once when we were backpacking, and it was really convenient to be able to close it prior to hiking back on a dusty trail, and getting who knows what into an open wound. Would not have been easy to keep a bandage where she lacerated herself. I did take her to the hospital when we got back, and re-opened the wound to properly clean etc…, but it was really nice to be able to keep it under control before we started the ~7mi hike back.

Also, I hope it wasn’t a surgeon in the video still pictured with the article, because those are some sloppy-ass sutures!

1 Like

I am working on a log home in my spare time in a semi-remote area, and with chainsaws, chisels, construction gear, etc., you never know when something is going to bite you.

I’d rather have skills and not need them, then need them and not have them.

4 Likes

Yep. That’s why I also have quick clot gauzes in my truck first aid kit. Not likely to ever need it, but if anyone ever does…

1 Like

In that same vein: earlier this morning I happened across the word “trepanning” in a novel, and I thought … “Playskool’s My First Trepanning Kit”.

PS, I am buying the suture practice kit as a birthday gift for my brother the outdoorsman. He will get a kick out of the gift, and probably use it. Be Prepared!

2 Likes

It’s not that new, it’s been used since at least the 1970s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate#Medical_and_veterinary
The nurse who did a gash in my hand a while back did say that medical grade cyanoacrylate isn’t exactly the same as off-the-shelf superglue.

Back to the original post, my medical student son says they practice suturing on banana skins.

2 Likes

It’s not exactly the same, and can burn more, but will do in a pinch.

What? It’s the perfect gift for snitches!

1 Like

That reminds me:

Also:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.