DIY wound-closing with this $10 skin stapler

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/14/diy-wound-closing-with-this-1.html

2 Likes

Well, this isn’t at all dystopian…

35 Likes

A downside of stapling wounds together rather than suturing them is that staples leave bigger scars.

Some might find that a bonus.

15 Likes

Unbenannt 1

22 Likes

Gonna need a unicorn

8 Likes

Yea, I guess this makes me a delicate dolly, but things would have to be extraordinarily fucking bad for me to go this route. I’d ask a veterinarian, or my weird neighbor who was a corpsman in Vietnam, before I’d get anywhere close to this.

17 Likes

Downside is cool scars? I hear chicks dig scars!

7 Likes

There is a Simpsons clip for everything.

9 Likes

11 Likes

To be seen in the latest crime dramas!

2 Likes

Especially when my first reaction wasn’tWTF?!?” but “Well, if it works, that could be useful in a worst case scenario.”

(I tend to think about worst case scenarios a LOT these days…)

27 Likes

These are incredibly handy to have lying around…if you also have someone around who knows how to use it. We have one in our first aid supplies bin for emergencies. Haven’t needed to whip it out yet, but it’s nice knowing we won’t have to go to the ER if one of us slices ourselves open biking, skiing, or being otherwise outdoorsy.

We have a family friend who famously stapled his wife’s head wound, which she incurred during a water skiing accident. Pulled it right out of the glove box, chunk chunk, good as new (ish)!

21 Likes

21 Likes

Damn, beat me to it!

3 Likes

I like to think of that guy in Utah who had to cut off his own arm when it got trapped under a boulder. . .

Well, I don’t like to think of him, but I do when I have to consider how brutal stapling your own wounds might be. So yeah, a shot of whisky, a branch to bite down on, and stapling a wound instead of bleeding to death. If/when it comes to that I’m game.

And the way things are going in this world, it looks more like ‘when’ than ‘if.’

4 Likes

I mean, in a pinch, it sounds like a great thing to use.

Did she goto a dr afterwards, I hope?

3 Likes
7 Likes

He was so excited to have a chance to use it - I think it had been one of those “why do you have that/we don’t need that!” arguments. The friend is surgeon, so once he got her home he was able to get it cleaned up better and toss a few sutures in instead of the staples.

12 Likes

That seems to be the go-to in crime thrillers/mobster movies.

6 Likes

Does it come in red?

Otherwise I’ll stick to Crazy Glue.

24 Likes