This adhesive patch closes wounds without stitches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/this-adhesive-patch-closes-wou.html

4 Likes

The music played on that video is seriously annoying.

3 Likes

Maybe useful in your emergency kit. When you can’t get to a Dr immediately - or are hiking etc.

11 Likes

Interesting combination of the butterfly bandaid and the zip tie; I suspect it could manage a deeper, bloodier cut than a normal butterfly.

3 Likes

I watched at work, with the sound off, but after your comment I’m imagining Yakity Sax going on in the background…

6 Likes

Hey, if you’re in a country without valid, inexpensive medical care, this is a much better option than visiting a doctor. I’m in the USA for example, and I’d consider adding this to my first aid kits.

11 Likes

There’s also superglue

10 Likes

I think there’s a wee design flaw, introducing a small shear stress into the wound. Shear stresses can shut off capillaries. They should make the tie across the would parallel to the wound. As is, the forces would be like the black arrows:

4 Likes

I was expectin’ th’ demo t’ include a final step o’ trimmin’ off th’ handles, otherwise, I would anticipate painful snags.

2 Likes

It seems pretty pricey for a home wound closure.

Came here to say this, but about shear perpendicular to the zip-ties (parallel to the wound). Yikes. But they do produce “less scaring” than stitches, which is nice. Stitches are scary.

3 Likes

Seems to me like a more complicated, more expensive substitute for the butterfly. It is meant for long-term prosthesis, or a quick ride to the ER?

2 Likes

And duct tape.

6 Likes

I just have trouble with generic US 90’s movie trailer voice telling me about medical goods.

2 Likes

Seems that way to me, too.

I think you can count on some people treating it as first aid, and others as a solution… :slight_smile:

This is the thing I’ve been needing for my camping first aid kit. I can’t get any doctor or nurse friends to get me suture kits to carry along! My husband cut open his foot on a 10 day hiking trip and we were able to get by with steri-strips, and every bandage, little packet of ointment, and some creativity with strips of bandanna and tight boot lacing. His doctor said he would have put in at least 10 stitches for a cut that size. I’m afraid my first aid kit is a little over the top since then.

6 Likes

Did that video just told me to shut up?

"In a wound…"

4 Likes

Any idea how difficult this widget is to remove when it’s done?

This isn’t an idle question. I had to have stitches removed from ankle fracture surgery, and the skin under said stitches was pretty trashed. Getting those stitches out was a nontrivial exercise in prolonged torture.

1 Like

Duct Tape / Preparation H / Crazy Glue. Not necessarily in that order. Works like a charm every time. Hit wound heavily with the Prep H, close wound then apply crazy glue, place duct tape over wound. Now get back in the fight.

5 Likes