This suture practice kit would be a great birthday present

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/31/this-suture-practice-kit-would.html

2 Likes

Ummm, you have clearly never dealt with surgeons.

9 Likes

I feel there really ought to be a mash-up with Operation: The Wacky Doctor’s Game.

9 Likes

I can’t wait to practice and then perform my first home surgery on myself!

8 Likes

I can almost see this being used as a practice aid for “extreme” (mountain-climbing?) expedition team members who – ideally – should all be well skilled at something more than first aid in the field. Otherwise…

BTW: My mom told me that, in nursing school (we’re talking early 60s, here), they practiced injecting by sticking oranges. (!!!)

2 Likes

I remember an episode in the early seventies where a character was practicing injecting insulin with an orange. There was some plot involved with that.

2 Likes

We actually did use something like this in med school to practice suturing, but as “fun gift ideas” go, I am not so sure.

4 Likes

I guess oranges have “a give” similar to human tissue.

1 Like

TGOP ACA survival kit…

3 Likes

My nine-year-old went to “surgery camp” over the summer because she wants to be a doctor some day, I bet she’d geek out over this kind of thing.

10 Likes

When I had my dyalis connectors removed in June,I’m prettys sure tgere wereno stitches.

I didn’t look, but only local anaesthesia, and it was short. What I remember most was tge doctor pressing extremely hard, and watching the clock.

Later, slated me sort of “crust” came off. No stitches were removed.

1 Like

This might have been because of the new biodegradable surgical thread being used now.

To each their own. Giving my kids sharp implements would be a great way to need suturing! :smile:

6 Likes

Who needs 'Murican healthcare insurance - just learn to treat your own injuries and bypass the insurers! /s

4 Likes

I remember being fascinated many moons ago by the thread being integrated into the needle; I thought that was a very useful design, having had too many issues threading needles for embroidery. I also appreciate that they showed how to tie off a suture. Lots of times the doctors do it so fast that you can’t see how they do it.

3 Likes

Suture self!

12 Likes

I thought the trendy thing these days was to use super glue. (I was chatting with a fellow at the gym a while ago who relayed the tale of a gushing leg wound that he tended to personally with super glue rather than going to the ER to wait around. He is the adventurous sort.)

See also:

But actually this is the first thing I thought of:

2 Likes

Maybe. As I said I wasn’t watching tge process.

I mostly brought it up because if there is a switch to crazy glue, the poor kids practicing with this kit may not learn a valuable skill.

2 Likes

I’m of the generation where I was 12 years old before staples were being commonly used, so when I cracked my forehead against the landing above the stairs they had to shave my head to resemble male-pattern-baldness before they could suture the wound. My schoolteacher let me wear my stocking cap inside that year.

1 Like

Edit: SocialMaladroit beat me to it.