DIY wound-closing with this $10 skin stapler

I forwarded this to my friend who was a Navy Corpsman. I asked if this would be good for his kit for his hikes, in case of a deep gash.

He said, “That’s for people who don’t know how to suture. Why would I deprive myself of the fun in stitching.”

20 Likes

We have both options in our med supplies bin :wink:

9 Likes

$10 !

Much less than my co-pay!

I’m IN!

7 Likes

Real men don’t need to staple wounds- just rub some dirt on it and you’ll be fine.

11 Likes

Remember, you need to get the appropriate staple remover to go with this.

And yes, I can confirm that stapled wounds leave prominent scars.

5 Likes

Possibly easier to staple oneself than suture but if his skill is up to it then let him have fun.

1 Like

Highest and best use would be for movie action heroes who have to get on with saving the world from the evil forces that will take them down if they go to the hospital.

Actual use probably BLM protestors who will get kicked by cops if they request medical attention.

2 Likes

Well, all the best-case scenarios have gone by, and we’re rapidly burning through the medium-case scenarios, so it’s good someone is thinking ahead.

6 Likes

(Don’t forget to clinch them over inside.)

8 Likes

Former Navy IDC here. I keep both stapler/staples and pre-prepped sutures in my kit. I prefer to stitch most wounds, but it takes a lot longer.

12 Likes

If you should be so careless and weak as to allow some foe or circumstance to pierce your skin, you deserve the consequences. Mollycoddling devices like this might stop your bleeding but they can’t restore your dignity.

The only acceptable method of wound care is cautery by gunpowder, as seen in Rambo III. John Rambo had far more effective means of stopping the bleeding, but he burned it with gunpowder as penance for being so lame as to bleed in the first place.

3 Likes

I think the downside of stapling your own body is that you are stapling your own body.

15 Likes

Arrrgh!

Look, there are cases where this is going to be a Good Thing. Not many, but some. Prompt suturing is necessary to prevent wounds from starting to heal over in undesirable ways (in which case the fancy restorative surgery people get to debride and reclose.) Best to just do it right the first time so dress the wound, bandage, and get to someone who knows how to do it well. $HERSELF’s father (a Navy Corpseman in WWII) used to do all sorts of wound closures in the '40s and '50s rural Montana. Great.

The thing is, do it wrong and you get what is politely called in medicine "premature closure.’ In other words, you just closed gunk in the wound with the usual decay bacteria, dead tissues, and other foreign matter which can make for a lovely environment for anaerobic bacteria. Gangrene, all that.

Put another way, don’t try this at home. And, no, irrigation with bleach, peroxide, etc. are no substitute.

15 Likes

Re: DIY surgery

4 Likes

4 Likes

Reminds me of the end of the first John Wick movie…

3 Likes

But more seriously- my first aid kit includes some of that clotting agent to stop serious bleeding pronto. Bandage up with that - Then get my ass to the ER.

10 Likes

I liked your post, but mainly for its reminder of things not to do when not in reach of a medical care

Besides, I don’t have room in my emergency medical kit for both this and my trepanning tool.

12 Likes

I’m not even sure how that works these days with all the covid patients.

2 Likes

How clean are the staples that have sat in there unused since forever? Are these surgical-grade stainless steel or some Home Depot Arrow T50’s ?

Also - how do these come out?

I’ll stick to Kleenex and electrical tape, thx.

1 Like