This tiny Corgi sure is a hungry little pupper

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/11/corgi-puppy-hungry.html

1 Like

Wow. Just gave me a flashback to my teenage years.

I grew up with a giant Brittany Spaniel (like 85+ pounds at his most beastly), and who was completely incorrigible when it came to stealing our food. He was constantly looking for new ways to get away with stealing people food.

I recall once eating a sandwich in the kitchen. For some reason I was only holding the corner of my sandwich, and my dog made an expert leap up on two paws and literally grabbed the sandwich out of my mouth. It was all fur and teeth, and then he was gone in a flash, off to some corner of the house to enjoy his snatch.

Most impressive grab I’ve ever seen. Not a hair brushed against me even.

3 Likes

Corgis don’t need to be hungry to eat. Mine will eat until he is so full he can’t eat, throw up to make room, and then eat that. Some corgis just love to eat.

I remember reading the only animal that won’t do that is… the pig.

1 Like

That’s definitely a “feed me now or I just might forget a few millenia of domestication in a frenzy of bloodthirst” sort of expression.

In a totally cute way, of course. Who’s the fuzziest dire corgi? You are!

1 Like
5 Likes

Honestly was expecting more.

My dog once snatched about 2/3 of a pizza off the stove when no one was looking. Unremarkable, you might say- except he’s a beagle runt and his max stumpy-legged reach is the oven handle, which puts his nose about even with the front lip of the stove. The pizza was even pushed to the back of the stovetop in precaution, yet still he got it, and the only evidence of his crime was the fully shredded pizza box decorating our bed. Thanks dude!

I maintain that he figured out how to use the broiler handle as a step (he’s one smart hound,) but my partner believes he must’ve jumped. I don’t think that’s possible, because while he can super-dog jump with the best of 'em, he never catches more than a couple inches of air. Honestly I don’t blame him, because if I were in his shoes and some cruel bastards weren’t sharing their pizza with me, I woulda done the same damn thing.

2 Likes

1 Like

Corgis have other attributes.
I may have mentioned this but years ago a friend was invited to a royal garden party (her husband had returned from a diplomatic stint in India.) Some of the royal Corgis were also present and my friend decided to make their acquaintance when the Queen Mother, who was passing, remarked “I’d be careful around them if I was you, they’re a bit excitable.”
Whereupon a voice behind announced “What you mean, mummy, is that they bite!”

This is the kind of advice you don’t ignore and since then said friend has been wary of corgis.

1 Like

As far as i know Corgis aren’t aggressive, more than likely it was a lack of proper training/bad habits these royal corgis had. But then again it’s always good to assume that any dog you aren’t familiar with might bite. Going directly to pet a strange dog is the best way to get bitten.

Now from my past experiences i would say that Chow Chows while super fluffy and cute are quite territorial and they have a pretty sharp bite. I don’t see them very often but most encounters were not friendly.

2 Likes

My corgis don’t bite as in snapping at someone just trying to pet them but then they are also Cardigans not Pembrokes. I have never met a corgi, Pemmi or Cardi, that was a biter like that (I’m sure they are out there like with all dogs). Now if they were talking about the way they herd (technically they are driver’s) which is to bark and nip at the livestock, then sure. They’ll grab your pants leg and try to lead you around when pups but that is pretty easy stop wrt people.

That might have been specific to the Queen’s dogs.

I hear that a lot, but the ones I’ve known while being kind of standoff-ish, were otherwise nice. Sort of like a cat. One of my neighbors some time ago had one, and he was a good, but quiet dog. My wife had a chow when we met and then we became the Brady Bunch with her dog and my two Labs. She was also a very good dog, but quiet. You could tell she had that guard dog in her - if someone came to stay at our house, she would position herself at the door of the guest room in the evening for a while after bedtime, then eventually go to her bed. Those three are all in doggie heaven now, we have a whole new crew.
Chows are strong willed and need good training. I’ve never seen one misbehave at the dog park before. That prize usually goes to a terrier of some sort…

Terriers for the most part from my experience are way too hyper. I have met some well behaved ones but they seem to require more care and training to get them to listen. Other small dogs can be problematic as well with aggression or hyperactivity.

An ex had a pomeranian/chihuahua mix and oh my lord did that dog have a problem with over excitement, thankfully i was savvy enough to re-train him to be more manageable. It was hard to get him to settle down when he met people, he really loved getting new company and would go ballistic.

When I was a kid there was a chow that had to be reported after killing several neighborhood cats. I always heard they were agressive dogs.

Well, just about any breed can be aggressive towards cats, especially if the cat came into the dog’s territory. Also - people should keep their cats inside their homes. But don’t get me started on pet owners…

I did some reading. They are actually listed as one of the most agressive and difficult to train breeds.

http://www.dogtemperament.com/chow-chow-temperament/

“He is definitely not suitable for homes with cats or other small animals as his strong instinct to hunt will take over. For this reason, he should never be let off leash because he will attack any other animals in his immediate vicinity.”

Whatever you think about proper care of cats, they don’t deserve to be killed. I still remember a group us of trying to save my friends’ cat after the attack.
The poor creatures’ hind legs and backside had been torn off. We were nowhere near the dogs’ house.

No, I do not wish death on anyone’s pet. The dog’s owner was bad, clearly, if it was out like that and not properly trained.

This is not a commentary specifically aimed at you or someone else, just an observation since you mentioned pet owners not being responsible.

I’ve seen my fair share of dog owners walking them off leash like it’s no big deal. It always makes me cringe because you never know what can happen. Recently saw a dog get spooked by a passing car when the dog wasn’t paying attention to and it almost bolted into traffic. Thankfully the 2 owners were able to react fast enough t o restrain the dog, but the dog should’ve been on a leash in the first place.

Also before our last family dog passed away he was attacked 2-3 times over his life by dogs being walked off leash.

All i got to say is put your damn dogs on a leash, i really don’t care how nice they are or how well trained. Unless they are in a designated off-leash area, then i can make the decision if i want to deal with uncontrolled dogs.

3 Likes

I agree. We have 4 dogs and they are walked on leash only. The only time they are not is if we take them to a dog park or to dog beach. And one of our dogs is really not that great with others, so he stays home when it’s beach/park day and gets a bone to chew on.
I have serious issues with pet owners that are not responsible. That includes ones that let dogs/cats roam around or people that leave their dogs outside 24/7. We live in the city, no one wants to hear your dog at 2am. Also, even though we live in the city, we have skunks, possums and coyotes because of the small canyons in the area.

1 Like