This TV ad for a Canadian bank may make you cry

That’s a LOT of overdraft fees that paid for that.

1 Like

I trust a company to do what is legally required of it to provide a good or service to me for more than it costs them. No more, no less. If they piss me off, I won’t make a fuss, I’ll just move my business elsewhere in future.

I certainly don’t expect any favours (because they’ll only be for their own profit), and I don’t want a ‘relationship’ with them. My reasons for sticking with companies are almost always down to apathy and convenience, not loyalty.

As far as cars go, I trust the manufacturer and seller to honour the warranties applicable to what I bought. I’ve never once bought a second car from the same dealer, and every car I’ve ever owned has been a different brand.

With banking, I stayed with one awful bank in the UK out of laziness, in the US I banked with an awful US one (also out of laziness) until I decided to dump them and take a minor hit in convenience to change to a credit union (who I also expect to be useless, but as long as they aren’t outright crooks, I’m okay with them).

Oh, I just knew you’d be along as soon as I read GregS’ post! Click on Xeni’s byline up at the top there: what’s it say? “Boing Boing editor/partner and tech culture journalist.” Oops!

(To be clear, I’m not personally fussed at Xeni for this. It’s a simple typo that doesn’t change the meaning of anything. Usually when we do this dance you’re defending Doctorow for just straight making shit up. Fortunately for him, I suppose, his bio just starts “I write books.” So lying is A-OK, then!)

OK, so are you over at FoxNews.com tirelessly calling them out? Because that is unequivocally presented as “Fair and Balanced” reporting of the News (whereas BB is clearly op-ed), and if inaccuracy in that endeavour bothers you, I’m very surprised you have time to spend at Boing Boing worrying about Cory Doctorow.

Wow. Is “sure, he may be a liar, but he’s no worse than Fox News” really the best defense you can muster? You’re not even gonna try to argue that he’s just misinterpreted, or something? If I was in Mr. Doctorow’s shoes, I would ask you to please stop helping.

No answer to the question, I note.

[eyeroll]

What’s the name of this particular fallacy? The one where you insist that your opponent is required to address all the problems of the world in strict hierarchical order? It’s very popular on the internet; we had one a few days ago in the Cleveland Indians thread, when someone tried to assert that we weren’t allowed to care about racist sports mascots until all other racial problems had been completely solved, or something. If it doesn’t have a name, it should.

In any case the answer is No, obviously, because my criteria for following a site do not include “how many fights can I start in the comments,” because I don’t hate myself. I started reading BoingBoing because I generally enjoyed their content and found their political views inoffensive, and I started commenting on BoingBoing because I like discussing things I read, and some while later I started rage-commenting on BoingBoing because, in my sole perception, the quality of the content in general and of Doctorow’s posts in particular had been dropping dramatically, and it breaks my heart to see such a brilliant writer turning into…this. Maybe it’s time to take a break, because I see less and less of what I came here for.

Question answered. Now you stop dodging yours.

That’s meant to be a joke, right?

I wouldn’t be surprised to find it in a TOS, in ultra-fine print, posted on a bottom rear corner of the ATM.

“By engaging in any transaction with TD Bank, it’s affiliates, partners, or any related or unrelated company or organization, you hereby give implicit permission to TD Bank to gather any and all information about your life, your family, friends, and associates, and all related activities, to be used by TD Bank, it’s affiliates, partners, and anyone else they choose, for marketing purposes or for any other purpose they deem fit and/or profitable…”

I’m very disappointed to find BoingBoing using such click-bait headline tactics. BoingBoing, please please help to be the antidote to this stupid fad.

1 Like

I found an article that mentions how they got the people to show up when the giant ATM and camera crew was there.

TD relied used frontline staffers to recruit around 20 customers as unwitting participants in the ATM ploy. They were told they’d be participating in a focus group to test a new kind of ATM.

Frontline staffers I assume means tellers. I can definitely see how tellers would know what’s going on in the lives of these people. Bank branches are often small enough that they only have a few people working as tellers. The tellers at my branch recognize me and I’m sure plenty of people tell them about stuff going on in their lives. The marketing people probably asked the tellers to nominate anyone who’s going through a tough time and could use a break.

Good Lord, a bracketed eyeroll, nameless fallacy, kind of a straw man thing (I’m insisting on what?), finishing with a one-liner John Wayne would be proud of. Nice work!

In general (and those are the only terms I can comment on because we aren’t dealing with any specific examples) I don’t see Cory’s stuff as hyperbolic at all, he’s just got a pretty casual style that seems to resonate well with most of his audience. But a bunch of people really get upset because of the very high journalistic standards you apparently hold him too.

I’m glad you wouldn’t waste your time over at Fox, I just wonder how you can exist in the current media environment, drowning in the self-serving shit that passes for “real” journalism, and still get so worked up about what is clearly an opinion based blog, and a pretty damn good one. I certainly don’t agree with everything blogged here but in general its delivered with a level of integrity I’d very much like to see more often.

Anyway, go ahead, make my day… or something.

In a related story, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver ran this terrific take on native advertising! For those who haven’t yet heard the term, “native advertising” is basically advertising camouflaged to appear as though it’s a news piece. Much like product placement, it relies on the fact that the viewer doesn’t notice it as an ad to work.

1 Like

What he said.

1 Like

This is happiness at a bank:

2 Likes

Yeah. I was going to say that I’d settle for some interest on my chequing account.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.