This video for "Classical Gas" debuted on The Summer Brothers Smothers Show (1968)

I remember that one too!

The man’s a dancin’ fool!

1 Like

Wow. A Gentle Giant reference. You’re outing your age bracket

I love Mason Williams. His “Them Poems” still tickle me.

3 Likes

I probably watched this when it was first aired. The Smothers Brothers was on the rotation for my family.

5 Likes

Niagara Falls?!?!?!?!!? Slowly, I turned! Step by step. Inch by inch.

6 Likes

The song is used in “The Dish”, I think when it’s rotating for some important scene.

2 Likes

Love, love, love that movie. And not just because Sam Neill is in it.

The performances of Classical Gas by Mason Williams are my favorites, but his left me astounded also,

7 Likes

Used to watch the Smothers Brothers religiously but I do not remember this video. I’m guessing 11 year old me was not impressed.

It’s funny, watching this video just now made me notice how much it sounds like the theme to a TV news magazine show. I wonder if that’s an intrinsic quality of the track, or if it just inspired a lot of later TV music.

1 Like

I’ve taught intro to art history a number of times. At one school, I had to teach the entire history of Western art, from cave painting to contemporary, in one semester. It was kind of like this.

2 Likes

I’m a bityounger and don’t remember much detail. I do remember their sit-com they hadbefore the comedy hiur.

But at one time Iwas watching a show on PBS tyat compioed segments from Ed Sullivan and The Association came on, and it seemed very familiar. I know the song, but it was the footage. So I assume I did take it in as a kid, never remembered it until the footage brought it out of deep storage.

I am generally surprised that I have very vivid memories of some shows, but watching them many decades later (like The Rat Patrol) I can’t remember seeing any of it. I remember My Mother the Car, and Hey Landlord and Camp Runamuck, and others, but very little detail. It’s different with shows that were in perpetual rerun like Get Smart and the Flintstones, and even Star Trek.

2 Likes

I remember watching Laugh-In original episodes when I was a kid, and to watch one now it’s weird how I remember some parts of the show very well, others not at all, and of course now understand things that went straight over my head back then.
And, of course, some of the jokes stand the test of time today, while others haven’t aged well at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.