This video just hit one billion views

Op | op | oppa gangnam style hit 1B views on Dec 21, 2012, about 5 months after release. But that’s different, yes.

4 Likes

Not such a great troll when you get a Whole Foods ad before the video starts

2 Likes

I’m convinced that this video will eventually catch up to and pass the one that the OP linked to.

3 Likes

Rick-rolled by boingboing.net. Twice! Shame on me…

2 Likes

A-urla

3 Likes

It’s always possible that Rick barely gets anything out of YouTube ads because of his contract with his record company. See Thomas Dolby never getting paid for She Blinded Me with Science because his contract categorized singles as promotional items for which he would not receive royalties

3 Likes

That reminds me…

1 Like

7 Likes

It’s so good that it was played during the Olympics opening ceremony

I love that Yasunori Mitsuda had never heard Never Gonna Give You Up when he wrote Robo’s Theme, and wouldn’t hear it for another decade

3 Likes

This reminds me of one of my favorite moments ever from a Reddit AMA:

(Apparently this was a well orchestrated prank - the OP asked Astley to say “go fuck yourself” and then edited their post afterwards - but it’s still funny all the same.)

Here’s what Rick himself has said about this:

Here’s the whole thread - it’s pretty interesting:
https://reddit.com/r/Music/comments/56cdgm/ama_im_really_rick_astley_i_swear_and_to/

One final thing. Someone “remastered” the original by upscaling it to 4K resolution and interpolating it to 60fps, and it actually looks incredibly good - like it was filmed yesterday.

3 Likes

Most of which were involuntary… :thinking:

1 Like

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.