This video of Glenn Greenwald fawning over Alex Jones is a stronger emetic than syrup of ipecac

I hate to say it, but going full MAGA is quite lucrative. The more prominent and respectable one was before going to the dark side, the more lucrative the farce becomes.

Honest journalists don’t get mansions.

6 Likes

It must’ve happened between 2014 and 2016. Because he went from getting the Pulitzer for Snowden-leaked articles to rabidly attacking Hillary Clinton for her wiki-leaked, buttery emails.

It is beyond bizarre, his embrace of Jones. It is literally impossible to listen to Jones for more than 15 seconds before he utters either: an (un)intentional error (regarding history, science, geography, culture, or religion), a deception, a falsehood, or an outright lie. If you have the stomach for it, just one of his shows is (or should be) enough to determine him a fraudulent grifter of the highest (lowest) caliber.

8 Likes

Probably just sudden celebrity triggering an insatiable hunger for more attention.

Although it is possible that the Forces of Evil have perfected clone replacement technology and Greenwald was just an early test subject. That could explain why, for example, Lindsey Graham went from Never-Trump to being one of Trump’s most slavishly-dependable boosters. Maybe the billionaire-backed clone scientists have been slowly working their way through the GOP, substituting formerly-independent politicians with programmed bio-robots. Obviously, many of those involved didn’t have the firmest of moral compasses in the first place, but perhaps the complete about-faces that so many of them have executed need to be explained by something more than mere expediency.

Hard to confirm, of course, but maybe if you could get them naked – horrible thought – you could find some kind of maker’s stamp or serial number.

2 Likes

Going from Snowden to Jones says it all.

1 Like

Infowars turnover was around $45M / yr for a number of years.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s time to revisit Edward Snowden. Given what came out about the FSB and the Internet Research Agency after the initial Wikileaks postings, not to mention Russia as the only country where Snowden can stay, was Greenwald’s preening merely a preview of his current completely bat shit crazy behavior?

1 Like

I read a journalist being brave to ask Alex Jones about his journey of introspection, having realized and humbled into admitting the gravity of his major mistakes.

I see Greenwald on Fox in order to reach the widest audience. Although Fox is clearly the deranged corporate mouthpiece of the Republican Party, CNN and MSNBC continue to do the same as the self-important corporate mouthpieces to the Biden Administration and the Democratic Party.

As a longtime Boing Boing reader from the magazine pre-Internet days, I’m saddened to see Boing Boing, these once journalistic rebels of media, become rigid, introspective-less anti-nuanced pro corporate media establishment cheerleaders.

You sound:

11 Likes

It’s hard out there for a fanboi on the street.

9 Likes

Rupert Grint Smoking GIF by Apple TV+

8 Likes

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Jones is a fascist hack who has never examined himself or his motives in his entire fucking life. He makes up shit about dead kids for cash. He’s a worthless piece of shit. Greenwald cozied up to Jones, because right wing conspiracy theorists are his only audience now… that and transphobes…

And he defends right wing fascists just for fun?

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

11 Likes

If you are going to try to do a “both sides” thing here, you will have to do a lot better than CNN and MSNBC for mirrors of Fox News.

11 Likes

You do know that fascism is the opposite of being a rebel? And that Greenwald and Jones are now heavily invested in ideological fascism?

12 Likes

You mean a journalist selling out to fabricate a journey of introspection that does not exist. Or are you unfamiliar with Jones’ recent work?

7 Likes

Like Mindysan said, Alex Jones didn’t reflect on what he’d done, make a heart-felt apology and make up for it by changing his approach and working to make amends. He got a humiliating legal spanking, got caught in a transparent attempt to hide his money so he wouldn’t have to pay-up on the settlement, and was basically strong-armed into apologising.
Then he went right back to doing the exact same kind of shit that earned him that legal slap-down in the first place.

So sure, It was very “brave” to ask Alex Jones a question filled with compliments that set up for, and hinted heavily at, an answer that portrays him in as sympathetic a light as possible.

Criticising Greenwald isn’t the same as ignoring the valid points he does have about American imperialism, the surveillance-state security and the media - there’s plenty more critics in the same vein, who haven’t shredded their credibility by reinforcing fascist talking points or uncritically accepting Russian Imperialist propaganda just to take pot shots at Western Imperialism (Which is the most favourable interpretation I can come up with of the path he’s taken over the past decade or so).

13 Likes

Stephen Colbert Fireworks GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

12 Likes

Greenwald isn’t a regular on Fox News because he’s using their platform to speak truth to power.

He’s a regular on Fox News because the network is always happy to bring a so-called “progressive” on to make false equivalencies about the two major parties and tell the far right things they want to hear.

13 Likes

If we wake up one day and we’re the only ones left promoting the “both sides” critique that was the mainstream consensus of 1996, then who has “become rigid” exactly :thinking:

6 Likes

That’s an interesting way of characterising being the target of a lawsuit. “I left a wet floor unmarked in my store, a customer slipped and broke his back, and thus began my journey of introspection.”

I see Greenwald on Fox in order to satisfy his bottomless need for attention, no matter how disreputable the platform.

I’m not sure where you get that. BoingBoing very often calls out the flaws of the corporate media, including the tendency of outlets like the NYT and CNN to engage in bothsidesism. In that last regard, and in light of your comment, you might find them more suited to your sensibilities than you think.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.