This video proves China has the most insane traffic jams on Earth

This is really tragic. How could a communist country have let personal transportation turn into this? Where are the trains?

There are some massive toll booths on the G4

39°32’49.82 N 116°02’00.75E

I should note that the alignment of the satellite imagery with the road map layer is pretty poor,

1 Like

Can a stretch of highway be a human rights violation?

2 Likes

Yep, poorly cloned. The traffic gaps seem way too large, and I don’t think they’d organize into such nice lanes. My money is on CG, especially due to the limited number of models (China probably has fewer models than other countries due to the boom in first-car sales).

7 Likes

At 1:48 I get 45 easy, plus a handful of fudge, when counting across the dark/light border.

I also get a panic attack.

Even the most dystopian illustrations of MegaCityOne mega-motorways in Judge Dredd were not this horrifying…

1 Like

Right?

I regularly drive the “Spaghetti Bowl” in downtown SLC, and I hate what a mess that area is, but SLC’s got nothing on China (And FWIW, I found SF’s signs slightly different, and very easy to follow).

Oh if only the had built it with 100 lanes, and left out the nanny state toll booths. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN!!!11!!

1 Like

I don’t buy it either. How different can blurred blobs of a few thousand cars look? I clearly see evidence that we are grasping for reasons not to believe this.

Here, fixed it. Now the question answers itself.

Nice one, well spotted. This is rather curious. I pasted the two cloned parts on top of eachother using a difference layer in Photoshop, and they are indeed identical.

4 Likes

Though even with that, dropping from 50 lanes to 5 over a mile is inevitably going to produce problems. One would think the roads themselves would show up well on Google Earth. Does anyone know where to look?

It looks like @morcheeba found the place. Or at least a decent analogue of that hell. Here’s the google maps link.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/G+4+Jing+Gang+Ao+Gao+Su+Ru+Kou,+Zhuozhou+Shi,+Baoding+Shi,+Hebei+Sheng,+China/@39.5538846,116.034422,5372a,20y,270h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x35f01f870ed8c059:0x4606dfe6dbb5769c

@morcheeba included the Lat-Lon Coordinates upthread as well.

I can’t see the lat/long co-ordinates anywhere on the thread, do you know them, as Google maps doesn’t get a sniff anywhere near my machine, as I have to allow all of Google (not just maps) and that removes the navigation bar on my Google homepage layout.

1 Like

Oops, I credited Morcheeba with what @jerwin did… :sweat:

It’s this:

the Lat-Lon is: 39°32’49.82 N 116°02’00.75E

Here’s the Decimal Latitude and Longitude, to save you conversion time:
39.547172N 116.033542E

1 Like

Extra added this-is-a-living-hell bonus: choking smog so thick that it obscures the camera’s view.

4 Likes

As an aside, does anyone know why on Google maps the roads in China never line up with the aerial photos? Like, they always seem to be a few hundred yards out.

1 Like

I just thought it was that the photography was old, and used inaccurate tools. So that the properly surveyed roads, didn’t line up with the wildly inaccurate dead reckoning of an ultralight aircraft.

1 Like

You have to wonder why Google don’t just, you know, move the photos. I mean, I’m sure there must be some desert or mountains somewhere that will take the stretch.

I wouldn’t count on it. Deserts are and have ecosystems. Very thin ones, but that means we can study them more closely.

How’s that for an excuse for organizational laziness?

When I was a kid images of China always showed thousands and thousands of bicycles on the roads, and nary a car to be seen.

Is this “progress”?

1 Like