This video shows you how to tell the difference between real feta cheese and stuff they try to pass off as feta

There are cheeses that are like feta, for instance the fresh Quartirolo, is made with cow milk, but it’s a bit like feta when just made.

But it’s anoher AOP cheese, and is also sold as aged cheese with the red mould as added flavour.

2 Likes

pass the Dutch cheese on the left hand side

11 Likes

Thank you, yes. When I turned 60 I vowed to never eat goat cheese again and that includes sheep. It tastes like the animal smells IMHO. Live is too short.
I keep bovine feta blocks around for salads and omelets but avoid the pre-crumbled stuff with the additives designed to keep the crumbles from sticking together.

1 Like

It’s a term I first had discussed when studying wine so I tend to think of it as relating to a fluid or suspension.

3 Likes

This. Came here to endorse Bulgarian cheese available in the US, not always sold as feta (I assume because of EU packaging laws), but salty, stored in brine and tastes just like feta. My local Asian specialty store, and my local Eastern European specialty store caries it. Usually less expensive than feta. Haloumi is also similar, from Cyprus, if you want a cheese you can grill directly on the fire.

4 Likes

I don’t think Halloumi is remotely like feta! They are both salty and white is about it.

But yes, of course, there are local versions of all these cheeses across the Balkans and eastern Mediterranean.

2 Likes

I’m delighted to hear from fellow cheese lovers about so many varieties of this wonderful food. Not everyone appreciates what a friend we have in cheeses.

9 Likes

Cheesus christ these puns are terrible.

2 Likes

Because it is feta, excepting it’s local name is not feta. Made the same way, from the same stuff. Awful lot of stuff got spread around that part of the world by the parade of empires running through.

I wouldn’t call them all that similar.

And I’m not really a fan of haloumi. Tends to be a little bland. It’s often used for saganaki, since it’s commonly available in the US. But for my money the Greek cheeses I can not pronounce are much better for that.

Kefalotyri, Graviera and especially Kefalograviera.

They have a bit of goats milk in them, and just have a stronger cheesier flavor. Get a little meltier. Of course that means you can’t put them directly on a grill.

The best feta is French sheeps’ milk feta. Period the end.

He mentioned how the cheeses stand up to heat, so I thought the asbestos of cheeses should be noted. Texture is very different from feta in that it’s tougher and doesn’t crumple, but it’s also a sheep goat cheese that’s brined from a neighboring region, so it’s not incredibly off topic. Moreover, it’s tasty.

1 Like

No thanks. I’ll stick with the cow’s milk stuff. I don’t care for the taste of sheep’s milk.

I agree. Although I also like the Bulgarian one they sell at my local middle east market. They have multiple kinds to choose from in their deli case in blocks.

They’re just showing you how to vet feta for your fete.

[edited for unforgivable grammar error]

4 Likes

Not sure how that could exist?

In the EU Feta is a protected term and must come from Greece made with sheep or goat milk. ( Doc# 32002R1829 - Commission Regulation (EC) No 1829/2002 of 14 October 2002 amending the Annex to Regulation (EC) No 1107/96 with regard to the name “Feta” if you must know :smiley: )

1 Like

That rule only applies within the EU, outside the EU, feta is not a protected term. French feta is made in the same region as Roquefort cheese with the same sheep’s milk. And it is vastly superior.

If you want it fresh, you could always make it yourself.

Just kidding. It’d be an interesting science experiment, but scaling it down to the point where I wouldn’t feel bad about pitching the result could be tough.

1 Like

No telling what’s possible if you cheese off the right people.

2 Likes

Zee bateux, zey breeng zee sheeps to zee islands, ooh lala!

(I have no idea how Pepe LePew got control of my keyboard…)

2 Likes

For fit feta fêtes, foot fees for fine fumés!

2 Likes