This video shows you how to tell the difference between real feta cheese and stuff they try to pass off as feta

Originally published at: This video shows you how to tell the difference between real feta cheese and stuff they try to pass off as feta | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I’m feta’up with that.

14 Likes

Gouda point.

14 Likes

There’s a place for the drier feta, and that’s the big family-sized salad bowl. A non-crumbly feta will end up in large, uneven blobs, all of which get taken by the first people to the bowl. A cow’s-milk feta will break into small pieces, or can be cut into small cubes for even distribution. The alternative is putting big slabs on top of the salad, and hoping there’s still one there by the time the bowl gets around to you.

21 Likes

I don’t Edam know what to say to that.

13 Likes

I may as well try to Caerphilly slide in a pun myself.

14 Likes

If you’ve already bought it, it’s a feta compli.

19 Likes

I bought some Greek feta from not-the-usual shop the other day, and it was totally worthless - bad texture, zero flavor. It didn’t occur to me at the time, but it must have been made with cow’s milk - I’m so used to buying sheep’s milk feta that I didn’t think to check what kind of milk it was made from. The irony is, I bought it from a “fancy” grocery store, so the low-quality pseudo-feta cost more than I would have paid for the real stuff from the usual places I buy it.

7 Likes

If it was manufactured in Greece then it was made with sheep’s milk as the law requires all Feta to be.

9 Likes

Wow. Am I the only one who thinks sheep and goat-milk feta tastes disgusting? I guess I’m lucky that I can enjoy fake feta at a bargain price!

3 Likes

Now I’m wondering if it came from Greece or “Greek” was part of the brand name… (or if “Greek” was appended by a very tiny “-style” caveat). Also, the US inconsistently holds with the whole appellation d’origine contrôlée thing, so there’s some weirdness with what’s allowed. I.e. products labeled as coming from one country but actually made elsewhere and only packaged in that country, so you end up with products sold here that legally couldn’t be in the ostensible country of origin, at least not labeled the way they are. I mean, I sometimes buy a “feta” that’s made in France (and yes, it’s labeled “feta” rather than “feta-style cheese” or the like). Either it’s sold as something else in the EU, or it’s made entirely for export.

5 Likes

There’s also a whole host of cheeses that are feta in all ways except being from Greece. Whether made in Georgia, Albania, Cyprus or wherever.

Americans aren’t going to recognize their local names so they tend to get marketed as “Feta”, though not “Greek Feta”.

In my experience a lot of those are way better quality than what Greek cheese lands in the US. To the point where a lot of the Greek Restaurant owners I’ve known use Cypriot or Bulgarian Cheese.

8 Likes

Unfortunately this subject is moot for me. due to recent health issues i have to avoid all soft cheeses… :frowning:

6 Likes

That must Brie so sad. I Camembert it! :cry:

11 Likes

The word is ‘texture’. Please don’t use the abomination that is ‘mouthfeel’.

4 Likes

I think of texture and mouthfeel as two seperate things. Texture I see as the surface condition (e.g. smooth, granular, pitted, grooved) whereas mouthful is the oral sensation, (e.g. mushy, oily, watery, chalky).

9 Likes

So you’re saying the conflation of the terms “texture” and “mouthfeel” doesn’t pass the nose smell test? :wink:

8 Likes

A lot of cheese puns here I see. And some other comments that might be puns, but if they are they’re whey over my head.

11 Likes

A lot of commenters like to paneer.

9 Likes

I haven’t a gjetost of a chance at understanding the cheesiness afoot in this thread.

5 Likes