"This was MY ass": Senator John Kennedy reads from one of the most banned books in the U.S

So you’ve focused on the single quote Sen. Kennedy read here, fully acknowledged that you haven’t read the book and therefore your JAQing is devoid of any context related to how the book is presented in the library, how it is accessed and how it might be read by the student , etc. Sorry, but that context is important.

TMK, All boys aren’t blue isn’t being read as educational material for sex ed class, and the premise that every item in a school library must have clear educational value is inherently false. Not only is that subjective and deeply personal, it would be so easy for fascists to manipulate.

And if you don’t think there are explicit descriptions of cis-het sex in school libraries, think again.

The worst part is it is all a smokescreen to drive ALL LGBTQ+ content out of schools. This is really meant as a way of opening door to banning all sorts of books, even children’s board books that have nothing to do with sex beyond saying it’s okay to be you.

14 Likes

I always think of A Face in the Crowd when it comes to scum like this.

Actor on Rhodes’ show : [Speaking about Senator Fuller] You really sell that stiff as a man among men?

Lonesome Rhodes : Those morons out there? Shucks, I could take chicken fertilizer and sell it to them as caviar. I could make them eat dog food and think it was steak. Sure, I got 'em like this… You know what the public’s like? A cage of Guinea Pigs. Good Night you stupid idiots. Good Night, you miserable slobs. They’re a lot of trained seals. I toss them a dead fish and they’ll flap their flippers.

and…

Lonesome Rhodes : This whole country’s just like my flock of sheep!

Marcia Jeffries : Sheep?

Lonesome Rhodes : Rednecks, crackers, hillbillies, hausfraus, shut-ins, pea-pickers - everybody that’s got to jump when somebody else blows the whistle. They don’t know it yet, but they’re all gonna be ‘Fighters for Fuller’. They’re mine! I own 'em! They think like I do. Only they’re even more stupid than I am, so I gotta think for 'em. Marcia, you just wait and see. I’m gonna be the power behind the president - and you’ll be the power behind me!

To be fair, though, Lonesome Rhodes wasn’t as big a phony as Kennedy or Prince Bush.

6 Likes

Folksy posers need a folksy remedy.

9 Likes

As covered in other threads, FL (and the fascist party writ large) are banning anything that is not explicitly cis-het normative. It is not good enough to not discuss gay/trans/etc, it must be clearly heteronormative to pass their inspection. Well, except for The Bible. For some reason, that gets a pass…

11 Likes

I wish these folks were 1/10 as concerned about exposing children to real bullet holes in bodies as they are about children being exposed to sex in a book. For what it’s worth bullet holes do more damage to children than possibly checking out a book with sex in it from the library (if they are lucky enough to have a library).

15 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

10 Likes

One of the new reps remarked that there is a marked difference in personalities in the House when the cameras are on, vs when they’re not. It’s all an act of outrage and victimhood on the part of some of the bad actors.

7 Likes

I have no doubt there are some performances going on, but I think their goal is still destroying as much of the government as possible. And the outcome is the same either way, of course. What’s that Vonnegut quote?

At the end of the day, the consequences are the same for us…

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.