Thousands bought bogus diplomas and transcripts from Florida nursing school owners and employees

Originally published at: Thousands bought bogus diplomas and transcripts from Florida nursing school owners and employees | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That’s scary, especially considering that most HR departments (and now AIs) do as much first-pass vetting as the Suffolk County GOP did with George Santos.

21 Likes

They seem to be soft pedaling the story. It’s not just “a safety issue” it’s very easy to see people getting killed from this.

19 Likes

But were they Woke? Did they teach Critical Race Theory?

If not, then all’s good by Gov. DeSantis.

8 Likes

This seems like a critical point here: can people who have done none of the schooling actually pass the exam? The nurses (RNs) I know worked much harder in school than I did earning a degree in Electrical Engineering - which is no cakewalk. Some seriously self-motivated people could conceivably learn what they’d need to know on their own, but it would still be a lot of hard work.

11 Likes

This just in…
George Santos is also a nurse…

16 Likes

I was wondering about this also. If someone with a fake diploma can pass this exam, it seems like the exam isn’t difficult enough. Or if the exam is actually difficult enough that someone without the actual knowledge couldn’t pass it… then surely those individuals who passed have at least demonstrated they’re capable of the job, regardless of whether they have a diploma.

4 Likes

I wonder how many have foreign credentials that are not recognized in the States.

4 Likes

Uh oh, someone’s going to be found and killed.

6 Likes

Studying and passing a test, even a grueling practical test, is a different skill set than working with patients, going through a couple years of study and showing up for class. The test is a safety valve, it’s not intended to be what the nurse, or other professional is studying for. The academic requirements, and the certification exam are both filters to keep out people who aren’t capable.

8 Likes

My missus trains nurses. There is absolutely no way you could pass these exams without doing any of the schooling, sez herself.

I’m an electrical engineer. Can confirm that people I went to school with could pass the classes without doing the coursework (combination of generous curving and cheat sheets).

7 Likes

Regarding cheat sheets, I had one physics professor who got extremely frustrated with students taking advantage of his cheat sheet policy (one 8.5 x 11 page, single-sided). Students would pack the cheat sheet with solved problems and examples of previous exams, all in micetype. He therefore decided that the only authorized cheat sheets would be those provided by himself.

On the day of the exam the cheat sheet he provided said only two things:

1. F=ma
  2. You can’t push on a rope.
10 Likes

We had a Unix instructor who said we could bring one index card, though we were allowed to use all 6 sides of it.

9 Likes

I wonder if anyone ever subverted the single-sided rule by forming a möbius strip.

8 Likes

Already memes about it, yep.

11 Likes

Absolutely. We had a nurse practioner candidate apply for a job a few years back who had an online degree (a legitimate one) and had passed her exams, but had never actually touched a patient. That is so far from ok! She had a theoretical grasp of pediatric medicine, but the kid in front of her is not a multiple choice question. Real life doesn’t work that way. Being able to pass your exams is necessary but not sufficient.

13 Likes

Maybe, there is a legit pathway to get at least some credit and pass exams if that’s the case. Foreign Educated Nurses.

2 Likes

If you’re going to buy fake credentials, why wouldn’t you get fake credentials for a high paying job that’s easy to perform? Why would you pay for the ability to fake your way into an undervalued job that is extremely difficult and stressful even if you know what you’re doing?

9 Likes

Like a congressperson?

9 Likes

Another option is that that this scandal will turn out to be larger than just fake diplomas and someone involved in proctoring these exams recognizes the bogus diplomas and lets the people who have them pass regardless of their scores (or even whether or not they took the exam.)

4 Likes