Thousands of people have signed up to throw eggs at a new bronze statue of the Iron Lady

What about nitric acid and mercury?

(please don’t try this, nitric acid and mercury are slightly more toxic than Margaret Thatcher.)

12 Likes

So, how long are we giving this statue before it’s taken down? A month? A year?

5 Likes

What a waste of edible eggs in a time when the pandemic has put all kinds of stresses on people who are trying to feed themselves and their families.

I suggest throwing dung instead of eggs.

Anyone concerned about hygiene can be a spectator, and wear a raincoat and bring an umbrella. This gear is already commonplace when going outdoors in the British Isles anyway.

Maybe some smart organizer (in the style of CMOT Dibbler) could set up a table where eggs can be exchanged for paper bags of dung.

Then hold a community-organized fry-up and feed everyone who needs feeding.
I imagine that would really send the ol’ ghost of Thatcher 'round the bend.

ETA: maybe the dung should have some flour paste mixed in, or glue

13 Likes

Why does the iron lady get a bronze statue?

7 Likes

Nye Bevan only has one statue that I know of, but he has a memorial to his achievements in every town and city in the UK.

Maggie’s memorial will always be the communities that were destroyed in the pursuit of money.

21 Likes

Bragg, posting on his Facebook page, wrote:

This is not a time for celebration. The death of Margaret Thatcher is nothing more than a salient reminder of how Britain got into the mess that we are in today. Of why ordinary working people are no longer able to earn enough from one job to support a family; of why there is a shortage of decent affordable housing; of why domestic growth is driven by credit, not by real incomes; of why tax-payers are forced to top up wages; of why a spiteful government seeks to penalise the poor for having an extra bedroom; of why Rupert Murdoch became so powerful; of why cynicism and greed became the hallmarks of our society.

Raising a glass to the death of an infirm old lady changes none of this. The only real antidote to cynicism is activism. Don’t celebrate – organise!

If people are signing up, this is already a self-selected list of likeminded potential contactees who could pitch in to work the post-Thatcher issues in England (and elsewhere) right now. Today.

13 Likes

Yep. History will judge her as having done such… I still haven’t seen the recent season of the Crown, so I’m interested in seeing how they deal with that.

This this strikes me as odd… Doctor Who during the 7th doctor had tons of stand-ins for Margaret Thatcher at the time, including the Rani:

rani

Lenny Henry even sort of made fun of it:

(And it was awesome that he showed up in the recent series!)

But they’ve never done a story since the reboot with Thatcher as a character (they’ve had Hitler, Churchill, Nixon, Rosa Parks, Nikola Tesla, Ada Lovelace, Noor Inahyat Khan, Mary Shelly (etc), Agatha Christie, countless ordinary folks, who else am I forgetting?). I wonder if they ever will?

Maybe no one has really made it until they show up as a character in Doctor Who?

16 Likes

I made a bunch of these pocket-sized emergency Clement Attlee busts and left them in places, but it inexplicably failed to go viral.

Anyone who has a means of production should certainly start stockpiling them now, and then when you’re allowed outside again you too can sprinkle them wherever you go

11 Likes

Makes it easier to pull the statues off the plinths, too! Great idea.

6 Likes

An iron statue of her would be better. As it rusted it would remind us all how she corroded civil society.

14 Likes

I’d brave COVID to participate.

Seriously. Fuck Thatcher.

5 Likes

I don’t have a 3d printer and am not really competent or active in that area but I think you might also make a bust of Bevin with the text ‘Toryism is nothing but organised spivvery’ on the side.

4 Likes

However they handle her it would be divisive, it wouldn’t matter if it is biased either way or neutral. Her legacy still affects young people today, so it might be a long time.

How long did it take for Lincoln to become uncontroversial (even if it is only as a whitewash over Republican racism)?

10 Likes

If I was still living over there, a day.

1 Like

It’s weird, because although Churchill is largely lauded, I think that his more problematic side with regards to Empire is a bit more in the public imagination now than ever before. I’d also argue that his hardline on Communism wasn’t particularly helpful to the postwar situation that led to the CW.

Probably the New Deal era? Although, the Lincoln Memorial went up in 1922, but the Radical Republicans tried to get one not long after his assassination:

There are probably still southerners who hate him, I’m afraid, but he’s considered one of the greatest Presidents by most people who aren’t out and out white supremacists.

14 Likes

Dickens, Queen Victoria, Madame de Pompadour, Louis XV, Shakespeare, Richard Burbage, William Kempe, Peter Street, Elizabeth I, Vincent van Gogh, Nefertiti, and James VI & I. And Robin Hood, if he counts as historical.

I think that’s it …

4 Likes

Has anyone thought to start a GoFundMe page so that people who can’t make it can sponsor a projectile of their choice? I might be game to make a contribution.

2 Likes

Is that just new Who?

How could I have forgotten Queen Victoria since she started Torchwood!?!

ETA:

Richard the Lionheart (first doctor), King John I (fifth doctor), Charles II (eleventh doctor), Anne Robinson (ninth Doctor), Black Beard (second doctor), some historical gun slingers like Wyatt Earp (first doctor), Henry Avery (11 doctor), Marco Polo, though not much footage exists of that one, sadly (first doctor)… OH! Robespierre ((first doctor), George Stephenson (sixth doctor)…

Sorry. I’m getting off topic.

6 Likes

b937da4f7f959c775c41a858ca3b7406

1 Like

Lots of t-shirt cannons going unused in the US right now. We could send some over…

4 Likes