Thousands of people have signed up to throw eggs at a new bronze statue of the Iron Lady

There was already a plan in place to position the bronze Iron Lady on a 10-foot-high plinth to prevent vandalism, which is truly a testament to the woman’s legacy.

Don’t they have ladders in England?

8 Likes

Yup. Classic Who would go on a lot longer. Just with Hartnell!Doc, you’ve got Marco Polo, Kublai Khan, Robespierre, Bonaparte, Nero, Richard the Lionheart, Saladin, Abraham Lincoln, Francis Bacon, Charles IX, Catherine de’ Medici, Admiral de Coligny, Wyatt Earp and his brothers, Doc Holliday, the Clanton gang, most of the cast of The Illiad, and a whole bunch of lesser known figures. Oh, and Shakespeare and Elizabeth I, again.

Ooh, I forgot Henry Avery from “The Curse of the Black Spot” – who also gets name-checked in Hartnell’s “The Smugglers”.

ETA: ninja’d by your edit!

5 Likes

You hit a few I missed!

I guess there used to be a lot more historical stories in the first two doctor’s runs, as it was meant to be somewhat educational for the youths!

But overall, I think that appearing on Doctor Who is a better tribute than a statue (to bring it back on topic some).

7 Likes

Yes, I think the success of the Daleks really threw their plans for a loop.

Though I suspect some of it was also down to the same reason that Kirk and co. kept on running into Space Romans/Greeks/Nazis/etc: keeping costs down by swiping sets and costumes from other productions.

8 Likes

Oh yeah… they famously had a tiny props budget, and the BBC, especially towards the end of the classic series, wanted to make it even smaller… Of course, now the BBC can’t shovel money at Doctor Who fast enough!

4 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TB-Davies-Double-Extension-Ladders/dp/B0054YI3Q0

6 Likes

When England was the whore of the world
Margaret was her madam
And the future looked as bright and as clear as
The black tar macadam

10 Likes

That’s an expensive ladder. Homemade air cannons loaded with a variety of inedible veggies and stuff may be less expensive… and more fun.

3 Likes

£150 to see Maggie fall? Totally worth it.

10 Likes

Anyway, to get vaguely back on topic, here’s a picture of Frederick Engels’ statue in Manchester:

4 Likes

Engels has a shorter plinth than Maggie because he is less controversial! I think that says everything you need to know.

11 Likes

I think it’s significant that it was from British popular culture (music and films) that I (here in the US) first learned of how much the British public despised her.

6 Likes

She still has her fans, although the current Tories are trying to distance themselves from her actions while memorializing her as a Conservative prime minister. They won’t do anything to undo the damage she caused though.

I live in a city where being a Conservative is political suicide though. No tory has been elected to the city council in over 20 years. There have been a couple of defections but they were voted out at the first opportunity. We have had more actual communists on the council than Conservatives in that time.

12 Likes

OMG, that snake!!!

You do have to give it to the actors who often gave fantastic performances while dealing with props like that.

Yep!

4 Likes

Ha! Our Engels statue’s plinth is even shorter!
(But then, he’s got the home advantage anyway.)

10 Likes

Sadly, it’s a statue of Maggie so I suspect we’re stuck with it.

It’s hard to explain the really messed up way we view Maggie in Britain. The best I can come up with is to compare it to Trump.

Most sensible, rational, non leopards eating faces party voters view Maggie with utter abhorrence for the reasons @robertmckenna set out above and many more.

The proportion of our society that approves of leopards eating faces is consistently high unfortunately and many of those have a figurative and in many cases literal hard-on for Maggie.

I think it’s a combination of memories of nanny, the accent, the pearls and the pants wetting terror she instilled.

Plus the usual need to believe that Britain still matters on the world stage so a nice colonial war really helped.

7 Likes

520415f34e4e0a7d5631839ae5462b73--fry-and-laurie-hugh-laurie

7 Likes

Plinths are – ideally – designed to compliment the subject and not compete with it or distract from it (particularly height-wise). MT’s higher plinth may turn out to be the great exception.

3 Likes

There are many reasons why I cannot forgive her, but Section 28 made my time at school a misery.

Transgender was considered to be identical to homosexuality, and teachers did fuck all to stop homophobic/transphobic bullying in fear of promoting homosexuality.

20 Likes

I can’t make the event, it’s too far during what will likely still be a pandemic. Is it OK if I find the nearest Reagan statue?

4 Likes