Three dead in shooting spree at video game tournament

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/26/four-reported-dead-in-shooting.html

7 Likes

It’s important to remember that EA had backed off censoring a lyric with Colin Kaepernick’s name in it a few weeks ago

The odds of the attack being political terrorism against the NFL/EA by some wingnut who watches Trump & Fox slam kneeling players nonstop are pretty good. The odds are even better that the NRA, Fox and Trump will try to blame video games for mass shootings instead of lax laws gun laws that allow violent loons to have guns.

Edit: I might be off about motive

8 Likes

There’s a laser dot on one of the players just before the player cam fades and shooting begins.

9 Likes

I don’t like knee-jerk politically charged speculation when a Muslim is the “obvious suspect” and I don’t like it here either.

Now is the time to process and deal with the tragedy, there will be plenty of time for political score keeping when the facts are in.

22 Likes

The clip comes from here (WARNING: it has audio of the shooting). There’s some more tweets reporting that the guy in the hoodie was shot (definitely consistent with the audio) but he’s in hospital and not one of the fatalities.

6 Likes

The motivation has been reported as a tournament player who lost a match and came back.

To the above comment linking EA’s actions with Kap and the game to this is a stretch to say the least. They are two separate events linked only by the fact that both involve EA’s Madden game.
There is no connection otherwise.

Once Again. This is not a politics issue. This is not a 2nd amendment issue. This is not a mental health issue. This is not a security issue. This is a gun issue. This is about someone having access to and using guns as the means to an end. Guns have one purpose and one purpose only. To maim and kill.

We need common sense gun laws which begins with having less guns out in the day to day world.

43 Likes

When I saw that laser dot I was real worried about this guy, good to hear he isn’t yet a fatality.

8 Likes

Come on now, someone could have easily done this with a knife. Are we going to ban cutlery now? /gettingaheadoftheusualammosexuals

23 Likes

That’s fucking horrifying, seeing that kid in the red hoodie clearly enjoying himself… He can’t be 18 or 19 years old.

What’s wrong with this fucking country.

jon-rhys-meyers-facepalm

I hope he survives. Jesus fuck this is horrible.

29 Likes

40 Likes

That guns are proposed as a way to settle disputes.

Rhetorical, I know. Just so tired.

20 Likes

:clap: just going to quote this, as it cannot be said enough.

Guns and income inequality. Means and motive/pressure.

same…

@RickMycroft that comic is great, i hadn’t seen it before, thx.

4 Likes

18 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

17 Likes

Judging by the UK… yes.

(Oh, come on, you rather walked into that one.)

((Seriously, though, repeal the second amendment already.))

2 Likes

I predict it will take about 10 seconds for the Second Amendment absolutists to start framing this tragedy as a “video games” problem.

20 Likes

That’s some high-quality random speculation there.

Why is it that a lot of Americans can’t discuss anything without trying to score political points, especially when no facts are in yet?

2 Likes

They may not since it was a Football videogame.

That will not play well on the news in the South.

1 Like

There are people dead, needlessly.

These tragedies keep happening because firearms are so easy to obtain in my country, and we live in an environment that glorifies gun violence.

People are going to speculate about causality; that’s just human nature.

24 Likes

I was actually wondering about the NRA recently.

It is now 100% clear that gun manufacturers make far more money during liberal presidencies, and the threat of the scare of losing guns. Sales go back down under conservative times. This means it isn’t in their best interest for conservatives to win. It is in their best interests financially to support liberals behind closed doors while making an even bigger stink about them publicly. They’ll pay liberals to pass fluff gun laws or make actionless statements that scare conservatives which fuel gun sales. They’ll also get weak sauce laws in place that do little to nothing but block future laws, and use other one step forward two steps back strategies.

They are in a weird place where they have to play both sides as fools to continue their game, and so very little fed to the public will actually be what it seems. Tricky times ahead for the public.

We can’t let them drive the narrative.

5 Likes