Three months with the cheapest electric kettle that didn’t look like it would kill me

Cue Frauenfelder with a hack where the blue light is replaced with one of those outdoor multi-coloured cyclable light thingies and your boiling water appears in sundry tones and hues to distract you from the ennui of watching paint dry water boil.
It will move the dial from ‘giving your kitchen a wow factor’ as claimed by the manufacturer, to a ‘What the fuck is that and for the love of hades WHY???’ factor.

(Blue-lit water is elegant and sophisticated? Who knew?)

2 Likes

We have a dirt cheap no-name kettle, which has a blue LED that is on all the time the kettle is switched off, and which changes to (a dim) red when the kettle is on.
This leaves our kitchen well lit with a blue glow at night.
It’s a right bloody pain, but it does boil water so…

(and yes, boiling water for tea, eleven times in one day is not unusual in the UK)

2 Likes

I basically use my Keurig as an electric kettle, since really only my husband drinks coffee and he usually gets fancy coffee at work.

A few weeks ago, at work, the restaurant attached to the museum was getting rid of some miscellaneous kitchenware and put it out in the breakroom for freebies. There was an electric kettle. A bunch of the younger staff was completely baffled by it. What’s it for? What does it do? Then another employee who’s Australian came in and was baffled by their bafflement.

7 Likes

6 Likes

You’ve got 240V electricity in the UK, and heavier power cords, so it’s a lot easier to get high wattage like that. Before I got my current kettle, I tended to use the microwave, which boils a cup of water in about 2 minutes, in between destroying an occasional stovetop kettle by boiling it dry.
(Microwave’s still a bit faster than the kettle, but the kettle’s the fancy type that you can set for different temperatures depending on what you’re making, so I usually use 190F or 200F for coffee or oolong, and I can let the kettle heat up while I’m grinding coffee or feeding the cat or whatever.)

2 Likes
1 Like

Or, if you’re willing to pay slightly more ($22 total), and don’t like the taste of bare heating element and plastic in your water, this kettle has lasted me years and years of multiple-times-a-day water boiling (in a house of 7 heavy tea drinkers) and has always rocked at its job. The glass separates the water from the metal heating element and plastic handle, so the water doesn’t really contact any plastic at all, except where the steam escapes, and you pour it out -
where it’s a metal screen in plastic bracket.

[EDIT: Apparently the black colored model of this kettle is only $20. I just grabbed the link of the one I bought]

3 Likes

has the logo rubbed off because that’s where you place your thumb when you’re filling it?

1 Like

I guess so, but it’s so perfect.

PROCTOR SI = impeccable

LEX = utterly vanished

1 Like

Such fancy lads/lasses!
I just use a torch and a small nickel ball.

1 Like

This one looks really nice and I may have to bookmark that for later use. That Keurig isn’t going to last forever, and then maybe Beschizza won’t roll his eyes at me quite so much :wink:

5 Likes

I have one that’s pretty similar to that. Different branding, built for U.S. outlets, and I think it does 1.9L. It has its own basket for putting loose leaf tea in the kettle. It’s way more kettle than I really need. (My criteria was: “Don’t get accused of trying to burn the office down.”)

2 Likes

been trying to find a tea sieve that is fine enough to filter smaller particulars for ages the best is a tissue envelope by finum

1 Like

Priorities!

2 Likes

Nominally, it’s 230V in the UK, but it can be a fair bit up and down from that.
The weak-ass domestic electrics in the US made me chuckle until I remembered my house was made of wood.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.