Three outstanding covers of Gary Numan's 1979 hit "Are 'Friends' Electric?"

Originally published at: Three outstanding covers of Gary Numan's 1979 hit "Are 'Friends' Electric?" | Boing Boing

7 Likes

All excellent.

Shameless plug, something I made back in the aughts:

“Basic riff from Gary Numan’s Are Friends Electric as it might have sounded remade by Dio” (after the Holy Diver intro)

(Pardon the amateurish video, I’m an amateur after all)

11 Likes

@beschizza, these are great. Also see: Groove Armada’s chill out version here… Are 'Friends' Electric? - YouTube

2 Likes

I’m playing Gary Numan, right now! (I, Assassin)

4 Likes

Should have included Information Society

1 Like

4 Likes

Go on then, I’ll add this cover version…
Paul Denman, singer of Yorkshire based alt/goth ‘Fabric of Fear’ with James Baring who once played bass in a 70’s punk band with Lloyd Grossman (I kid ye not!)

<a href="https://youtu.be/XC9bKlrPHK0">Are 'friends' Electric?<\a>
4 Likes

As a thing, I’ve always’ve freaking loved curated song comparisons and thus, I freaking loved this great set of songs covering one of the most influential songs of the 20th.

Super thanks!

1 Like

There was a 1997 Gary Numan tribute album that included many covers of this song. I think my favorite was this cover by An Pierlé.

5 Likes

I think I might prefer Are Friends Electric as a guitar riff, to the original synthy thing. Good stuff.

1 Like

Thanks for that (and welcome to BB). Very good version.
(Something went wrong with your embed - just copy the URL into your post and Discourse takes care of it.)
Any idea which version of WotW film the video clips were from?

@embeaux I like that one, too. Thanks.

5 Likes

came for this, leaving satisfied! That double-cd set (“Random”) has some really lovely covers (St. Etienne’s Stormtrooper In Drag bears no resemblance to the original and I love it so much).

I’ve also grown to really love the UK rap version of “Films” by Underdog (but in the 90s if it wasn’t Wu Tang, I didn’t want to hear it… smdh at my own immature ignorance)

1 Like

Fromage homage

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.