Three TSA officers arrested for stealing from passengers

Originally published at: Three TSA officers arrested for stealing from passengers | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Totally Stealing Assets

11 Likes

A person who works at the Transportation Security Administration, whose job it is to say that no true TSA agent would do something bad said, “The Transportation Security Administration holds its Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) to the highest professional and ethical standards and has no tolerance for misconduct in the workplace.”

How long did the TSA know that these (soon to be, if not already) former officers were stealing from passengers? That’s how large of a tolerance the TSA’s “no tolerance” is.

11 Likes

low-paid workers with way too much power performing a high-stress but ultimately meaningless job end up committing crimes against their targets? wow, could not have seen that one coming.

22 Likes

It was probably fairly quick. Committing crimes in a highly surveilled environment that can basically be timestamped based on traveler passage, luggage scans and TSA work shifts was a major flaw in the plan.

6 Likes

wow, it’s clear that mark has absolutely had it with the TSA.

5 Likes

I wonder, do they have security cameras in the behind-the-scenes baggage screening areas, presumably that’s where most of the theft occurs? And have they deployed AI to automatically scan video and search for pilfering agents?

2 Likes

Back when they just started implementing the extensive searches and X-rays, I personally knew TSA agent employees through friends of family. Yes, they were low paid, but a step or two above a restaurant job. Knowing their ethics outside of the office, they all gave me almost no confidence in the results of their work.

6 Likes

Until they have cameras in the cargo bays of the planes then the single biggest point-of-loss will remain open for business.

3 Likes

I’m shocked by this, because I assumed this was literally every TSA officer every time they think nobody’s looking, for the past 22 years. Since when are there consequences?

5 Likes

“Don’t steal… the government hates competition!” -Har har har

2 Likes

Sounds like someone has been watching Ryan George.

3 Likes

My valuable valuables (ex: cell phone, wallet) stay glued to me until I have to throw them into the little tub that takes the X-ray ride. That’s when my eyes are glued to that tub like a starving dog to a T-bone steak.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.