Thrifty "square" ice cream scoops already sold out

It’s still a bargain compared to other ice cream shops. I got my flu shot at Rite-Aid on Thursday afternoon and rewarded myself with a double scoop: $2.49. Compares nicely to a single scoop at Baskin-Robbins for over $4.

Of course, buying a quart or half-gallon for home consumption is MUCH cheaper, and top-of-the-line gelato (or other frozen delicacy) is better, and making it yourself is much more rewarding (though not necessarily better or cheaper) - but for a decent-quality cone or scoop from a retail establishment, Thrifty/RiteAid/Whoever is still a solid choice.

1 Like

In my youth, there was a chain in the Chicago area called Prince Castle that had square ice cream scoops.

2 Likes

They later became Cock Robin, I think. I’d heard of them, but never had a chance to try them, so didn’t know about the scoops. The one in the photo is fantastic!

Take heart. If this thing isn’t already made in China

Thrifty in San Mateo sold odd little $.035 scoops of white, brown and pink ice cream well into the obscene Silicon Valley financial frenzy. Bless Thrifty for making lots of poor kids happy.

2 Likes

It’s not even wifi enabled. How the hell is it going to communicate with my refrigerator?

2 Likes

Did you have to buy them in even numbers?
(Sorry!)

2 Likes

The best thing about Thrifty ice cream cones was the price. A nickel a scoop, when Sav-on was a dime and Baskin Robbins a whole quarter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.