Throwing stars are now legal in Indiana, delighting mall ninjas everywhere

Originally published at: Throwing stars are now legal in Indiana, delighting mall ninjas everywhere | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Wait, are double-edged swords legal there too now?

21 Likes
2 Likes

But are you allowed to coat them with poison? Or polonium?

7 Likes

Image captured from: South Park, Good Time With Weapons, season 8, episode 1, 2004 03 17, via SouthPark.cc.COM

As an entertainment like axe throwing or not (as explained), I expect mall throwing star injuries to increase.

4 Likes

Do batarangs legally count as a type of shuriken? It would be kinda ironic if Batman’s signature weapon were illegal but I guess his hand grenades, missiles, etc. are an even more blatant violation.

2 Likes

What about lawn darts?

11 Likes

The legislation against ninja stars was always pretty silly… I think they are still illegal in many parts or Europe.

2 Likes

What a great idea! By God, us Americans can come up with some damn good ways to fuck each other up and no commonsense SOB better try to stop us cause we got freedumb. Many years ago a swamp possum named Pogo nailed it…“we have met the enemy and he are us.” Christ on a crutch, how stupid can we get? Please note this as a rhetorical question and not a challenge for more fuckery.

3 Likes

Ironically 1.12 million of the 6.7 million inhabitants of Indiana have gun licenses that permit concealed carry of firearms. Whip out your throwing star if you feel “lucky” !

4 Likes

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

2 Likes

When I was touring college as a HS senior (back last century), I had throwing star in my backpack and the security lady took it and scolded me in front of my mom.
Like Mom-to-mom legit scolding.

5 Likes

I know people that go to those axe throwing bars, a few of them are people I would never expect to throw an axe, they’ve even said it was not something they ever thought they’d do but were at a bar that has axe throwing so they gave it a try.

I would probably not seek it out but I would try it.

This law appears to only allow the stars in a very controlled situation. I do have a problem with 12 year olds being able to transport them, it should be 18 or older.

If a business follows all the safety rules have at it.

Darts has been a thing forever in bars and that’s out in the open with no safety lanes.

Reagan banned those in the 80’s. There was a turn-in campaign where people could bring the darts to any police station or bank in exchange for an AR-17.
The program was wildly successful, with ER impalement-related visits down significantly.

4 Likes

Why are shuriken illegal in so many places? They seem honestly more likely to harm the user than anyone else, and considering pretty much any crazy arrangement of knife is legal, it seems a weird line to draw in the sand. It’s not like kids couldn’t all be throwing knives at each other if they wanted to.

I miss lawn darts, in all seriousness. They were super fun! I totally get why those were banned, though. Looking back, I’m kind of amazed we survived all the lawn dart shenanigans we got up to as kids. It’s the perfect storm of something that is fun, but is way more dangerous than it appears, so people will be careless and underestimate it.

3 Likes

If I had to hazard a guess, all those crazy knives are things good, honest, god-fearing white folks might carry. While throwing stars are…well…foreign. “Exotic” or “mystical” even.

5 Likes

No Fun U. You didn’t attend that college did you?

There was the mall ninja craze of the 90s - I honestly think the ban was to keep kids from poking their friends eyes out. As someone who dealt out and received multiple origami ninja stars to the eye in grade school it probably wasn’t the most crazy ban that ever happened.

5 Likes

Switchblades, butterfly knives and other “auto-opening” knives are still illegal in a number of states. I agree that’s a silly line to draw in the sand because there are a ton of legal knives that can be easily opened with a flick of one hand, not to mention fixed-blade hunting knives or whatever that are easily as deadly as a switchblade. And none compare to the lethality of guns.

2 Likes

OK, silly question, but has anyone ever been killed with a shuriken?

I can certainly see how one could put someone’s eye out with one of these or cause some very painful surface wounds but it’s hard to imagine many people would be able to strike a lethal hit with one.

These just feel like a kind of silly thing to get too worked up about in a nation filled with legal swords and daggers and hunting bows and handguns and assault rifles.

3 Likes