Thunderbird finds a new home

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/10/donate-now.html

It’s nice to hear that, there didn’t seem to be much activity around Thunderbird recently.
For a simpler alternative, there’s Claws Mail ( http://www.claws-mail.org ). It’s also free/opensource and supports end-to-end email encryption.

Awesome, I’m glad that Thunderbird has a lifeline; I’ve been concerned that it would wither.

This is much better news than the other Thunderbird getting a new home.

5 Likes

Good news. It may not be perfect but I like Thunderbird.

1 Like

I use Thunderbird and Lightning calendar for both business and personal use. I’ve had it for over a decade, ever since Outlook Express gave me tons of trouble on XP. Pleased to see it’s not going to disappear.

2 Likes

Will Thunderbird ever get to the point where it’s done? I use it and have no complaints. I kind of wish it would stop being developed and just go into maintenance mode where bugs are fixed.

Indeed, Thunderbird already did everything I needed and just seems to be getting more bloated as time goes by. (I have absolutely no need for Lightning.) I might check out that aforementioned “Claws Mail”.

How did they manage to hang on to the Thunderbird name, anyway, considering we only ended up with Firefox via Phoenix and Firebird?

I thought this was going to be a charming piece about a classic Ford finding someone to restore it.

2 Likes

I still miss Eudora. :cry:

4 Likes

What happened to Tracy Island?

5 Likes

It’s interesting that Trevelcare seems to be suggesting the hidden rocket launch is the downside to an otherwise boring vacay. If my wife or I or most of our friends were at that resort, the launch would take it from a two-star to a four-star experience (five if we can hitch a ride on the rocket). But then we’ve all watched way too much Thunderbirds :wink:

1 Like

Well absolutely - the idea that T.I. accidentally became a tourist destination is both hilarious - and awesome.

1 Like

I finally bit the bullet and switched to Thunderbird from Eudora a couple of years ago. I don’t like it as well, but having a 1080p screen makes up for a lot of what I didn’t like about the user interface. I hope they keep TBird working for a long time.

My mom is still using Eudora 1.4 (I think) on her Mac. It Just Works, and her vision’s not good enough to use web-based email.

2 Likes

Huh? Has this been inadvertently flagged as spam?

I may have buried the lede a bit too much, I suspect. It was a direct answer to the question I was replying to, but the context wasn’t obvious, I guess.
Still, folks call 'em as they see 'em, and it was (checks) my first hidden post, so I was probably overdue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.