Thunderbird team vows faster, easier-to-use, more stable versions in the year to come

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/standalone-email-ftw.html

1 Like

There are also two small projects to resurrect Eudora for both Mac and Windows. The Mac kickstarter is still underway:

The windows kickstarter is over:

And the project is in alpha:

3 Likes

Claws Mail ships with Raspbian. I haven’t given it a good workout yet. (Google certainly has a lot of hoops to jump through to do an old fashioned POP3 connection.)

https://www.claws-mail.org/features.php?section=general

2 Likes

“easier-to-use”? oh gawd, they’re going to screw it up :frowning:

old.thunderbird.com

1 Like

I’ve been using Thunderbird for about 15 years, ever since Outlook Express (ugh) went wacky on my PC. The latest changes have been unexpected but welcome; it’s almost like having an Exchange server with my ISP.
There are still a few odd function issues but I’m going to stick with it.

2 Likes

Arrrgh…guess I’ll hafta send more money too.

Hope they don’t bugger it up with features. Just want them to make it even more stable than it already is. Can’t imagine why people prefer webmail.

3 Likes

Is there a fork of Thunderbird yet with support for XP? Or is it still possible to persuade the latest version to run under XP with a minimum of fuss?

7 Likes

Wh-… XP? Really?

8 Likes

What’s the word?

2 Likes

According to the release notes:

Note that as of Thunderbird 53, Thunderbird only supports Windows 7, 8, 10, and Windows Server 2008 R2.

So get version 52.

But seriously, upgrade. Even Microsoft won’t support XP anymore.

4 Likes

Microsoft hasn’t supported XP since… 2014 I think?

3 Likes

So what they are say is, Thunderbird is go?

3 Likes

Does the app actually check and refuse to run, or is it “proceed at own risk” because they didn’t invest any QA cycles testing it with XP?

1 Like

So all these years I’ve been using Eudora have been a dream?

1 Like

ftfy­

2 Likes

I’m using Claws Mail on Debian, and in my opinion it’s excellent. It’s very stable and doesn’t have a feature bloat. It’s also fast - it has no problems with displaying folders with 10 000 messages even on 10 year old Intel Atom CPUs.

2 Likes

I like Mutt.

“All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less.”

It’s true, isn’t it?

mutt.org

1 Like

Thunderbird ate all of my email when I accidentally kicked the plug on my desktop. Twice. I’m a tad leery of jumping back in again.

3 Likes

No idea. I have an XP VM around somewhere I could test it on, but (no offense intended) it’s not worth my time to download a 32-bit version, transfer it over to the VM, and try it out.

I suspect it checks and refuses to run, because that’s what I’d do to prevent the inevitable bug reports and support requests from people that would install it anyway and then complain that some feature that uses something that isn’t present in XP fails.

If you insist on staying with an old unsupported OS, then you need to accept that you are going to be limiting yourself to old unsupported software.

2 Likes