Tik Tok clips bring us closer to Altered Carbon-style"mindbites"

Originally published at: Tik Tok clips bring us closer to Altered Carbon-style"mindbites" | Boing Boing

1 Like

For further reference, see also the greatly underrated 1995 movie Strange Days

9 Likes

That film is properly cyberpunk :+1:

8 Likes

I need to go back and watch the 2nd season of Altered Carbon.

I have been TERRIBLE of keeping up with Netflix series. I am basically giving them free money at this point.

5 Likes

Strange Days was an awesome film that came out in a time that wasn’t able to fully appreciate it for what it was. Perhaps the murder method where the victim was looped into the perspective of their killer or any number of factors, but it didn’t get the traction it should’ve.

4 Likes

Sounds like the same conceit as Eyes of Laura Mars.

4 Likes

It did the very cyberpunk thing of proposing some technology and then showing several horrible ways that technology could be misused. Also, the FPS robber at the start of the film was a great attention grabber.

2 Likes

I think William Gibson may have been the first to popularize this concept in 1984’s Neuromancer. Immersive full-sensory moments in other people’s lives could be recorded and re-experienced by others and even edited for content (for example, if an “adult entertainment” performer had a headache during a recording).

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I loved the books so much that I wasn’t able to make it to the end of the first season because of what they did to it.

Everyone that I know loves the show, so I know it’s good, but I just can’t shake the feeling that the Netflix series is the GoBots compared to the original text being an actual Transformer.

Thanks, I’ve added this to the que.

This is exactly my argument of why Sci-Fi wasn’t “childish” back in the day when it was a few rungs above Harlequin novels of the day with pics of Fabio on the cover, like some kind of “brown paper bag” novel. Good Sci-Fi to me acts like a Cassandra, alerting readers of the perils that await those who grasp a technology before getting a handle on the ramifications that accompany it.

4 Likes

I really enjoyed the “Dark Matter” TV series*; as they kept on finding new and inventive ways to abuse the tech in the show. And, yes, good sci-fi highlights the dangers of future tech; while pointing a finger at the flaws in the present. :sunglasses:

*of course, it got cancelled without a chance to wrap up its plot lines.

5 Likes

This is one of my hopeful uses for deepfake technology, where someone can acquire the licensing and finish shows that never completed their story arc, or even make alternate versions of shows/movies with different actors, like Laurance Fishburne in Pulp Fiction.

2 Likes

Such an underrated show! It reminded me of some of the stuff the Sci-Fi channel was playing in the late 90s/early 2000s - Lexx and Farscape, especially… it seemed to me to have a very similar… feel?.. to those shows, if that makes sense… a bit low budget, but made up for it in storytelling?

4 Likes

Lexx so weird and wonderfully wacky; and yet emotional enough for me to feel sorry for Kai. It was operatic, I guess; like Babylon 5.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Yeah, it was a strange show, for sure… and operatic…

lexx-kai-dead-do-not-poo

4 Likes

Strange Days came up on a list of “new years” movies yesterday. I saw it in the theater back when and on vhs a few times, Pussycat hadn’t seen it. The IMBD synopsis didn’t woo her, however, and we watched Phantom Thread instead. Now I want to watch it again just because it was mentioned here. “Angela Bassett kicks ass in it” is what I should have told her instead of reading the synopsis!

I also didn’t finish Altered Carbon S02. The first one was really good though. I particularly liked the hotel AI, although at first I thought he was played by Paul F. Tompkins, which would have been cool.

4 Likes

There should have been an audience for it—the kind of extreme-horror-and-fetish people who watch Hellraiser and Saw over and over—but the movie challenged those viewers in reverse by including an actually touching romantic subplot and then having Our Heroes inexplicably put their faith in the authorities at the end

Cyberpunk is not about how the cops will make everything better if we just find the right cop

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.