TikTok users just re-discovered the CIA's telepathic time travel documents

Originally published at: TikTok users just re-discovered the CIA's telepathic time travel documents | Boing Boing

3 Likes

their attempt to crack the secrets of transcending space and time while under hypnosis yielded fairly disappointing results.

…because it was unscientific hogwash.

These projects prove that the CIA would throw money at anything if they heard the Russians were trying it. The smart move would be to chuckle at the money being wasted by their opponents and move on.

The US can afford nonsense like this, but somehow can’t afford the basic human services that every other developed nation has. Maybe someone should tell the CIA that the Soviets are back and have a secret weapon called “healthcare and education”.

16 Likes

Which is actually true, and not just for Russia.

8 Likes

I don’t think they read the whole report. It’s hundreds of pages, and 3/4’s of the way through is a one sentence paragraph, “I AM SO HIGH RIGHT NOW”.

6 Likes
6 Likes

The CIA used to be into some far out shit, man.

1 Like

Makes me wonder how much of this stuff is/was false flag research designed to get the other guy to waste time and resources looking into it, and how much was just failure to keep track of all the leftover acid after MKUltra.

3 Likes

Prove the law of distraction.

I spend a lot of time wondering why the government continues to pay the “Men Who Stare At Goats” guy AND the guy from Blink-182 to continue doing this exact kind of bullshit. What kind of false flag would that be?! Who are they sapping resources from!?

2 Likes

I knew you were gonna say that.
Call Now : 1 800 774 7487 (SPI RITS)

2 Likes

I, for one, welcome the energy of the CIA spent on telepathic time travel instead of, say, toppling democratically elected leaders of other countries.

But that’s just me and my two cents.

4 Likes

That’s definitely the worst false dichotomy I’ve heard in a while, so congrats!

4 Likes

The explosion of generative linguistics in the middle of the 20th century seemed to be largely driven by the rumor that the Soviet Union had a “translation machine”. Depending on what you think about linguistics, it wasn’t all bad.

3 Likes

…and we did go to the moon because of a pissing contest with the Soviets, so definitely lots of great things have also happened. :grinning:

6 Likes

Why didn’t the Soviets spread the rumor that they had cured cancer?

1 Like

I suspect it’s one of those situations where somebody running an organization with a multibillion dollar budget tosses a token million or two to the kooks just to shut them up while the real money goes to bigger endeavors. The amount of money the CIA spent on fringe projects like telepathic research sounds like a lot to normal people like you and I, but by Department of Defense standards it barely qualified as a rounding error.

Even the goats were a bunch of shot-up hand-me-downs.

1 Like

I just got around to reading the Vice article; it’s like discovering a sixth season of Fringe where Walter Bishop was a Scientologist.

2 Likes

They had no problem doing both.

3 Likes

Can I argue for more telepathy studies, then? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

All Americans. Every dollar wasted on a boondoggle could’ve been spent on improving public education, keeping Social Security solvent, replacing aging bridges and water pipes, providing SNAP payments that would pay for more than 5 packets of ramen, etc. ad nauseum.

3 Likes