Tim Burton will direct Dumbo movie

Are you sure the roustabouts aren’t golems?

2 Likes

Well, the original film was based on a book. Maybe there’s more to draw on.

1 Like

DUMBO returns home from Vietnam, DUMBO meets John Lennon, DUMBO exposes Watergate, DUMBO makes it big with shrimp, DUMBO invents the happy-face, DUMBO is the angel-investor for Apple, Inc.

5 Likes

Helena Bonham Carter as Dumbo’s mom. (She still doesn’t have any lines, but she’ll be the one crawling on all fours in the CGI motion capture suit.)

2 Likes

She does sing “Baby Mine.”

Stretched out into a 15 minute operetta detailing how she and Dumbo’s father met, romanced, and eventually fell into dissolution as a result of the baby driving them apart. It’s up for a Grammy.

3 Likes

Thank you for this! Early electronics + Kay Keyser, I love this stuff. It’s about as awkward to see him doing his version of 40s jive lingo as watching the Dumbo crows.

1 Like

it must have been a joke, but I read on some news site I’ve lost now, “johnny depp is confirmed to play dumbo’s mother”.

1 Like

Early make-up tests for Dumbo’s mother:

1 Like

I already know who plays Dumbo’s father in that scenario.

1 Like

With the Transformers screenwriter? It could only be more insipid.

1 Like

Just in time for elephants to not be in the circus anymore…

3 Likes

Burton and Helena Bonham Carter have split up; we’ll know who his new squeeze is soon enough, just by checking the casting news…

5 Likes

A demo reel was already released. By Banksy. And completely free of racial/cultural stereotypes.

2 Likes

For some, Dumbo represented more than just a flying elephant. For some, Dumbo is the representation of every child whose mother was absent. My daughter, at three, memorized every line of “Dumbo”. It took awhile for her reality to sink into me. When I watched the movie with her, almost 26 years ago, and even today, my daughter’s identification with Dumbo and the inherent loneliness still moves me to tears!

1 Like

Weren’t most Disney movies about absent mothers?

My wife has pointed out in the past that most young adult novels have a missing parent, usually the mom, and usually she’s dead. The reasoning presumably being that young adult hi-jinx can’t properly ensue if both parents are there paying adequate attention.

2 Likes

So, just another idyllic day in a normal childhood, in other words!

1 Like

Pippi Longstocking just did away with both of hers! The best part of the American Girl series was learning about the parental demises (favorite: Samantha, both lost in a boating accident). Ol’ Walt also hit it big and bought his parents a house. A house that had a problem with the heating system. A problem that essentially killed his mom Flora: http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/d/disney/floradeath.htm

My wife and her sister had these super elaborate games they would play when they were kids where they pretended they were orphans and on their own. That still sounds like the weirdest thing in the world to me.

1 Like

Or as I like to call it, “Thursday”!