'Time Bandits' remains wonderful

Good recommendation! We watched Labyrinth a few years ago, but it’s time to rewatch it as I’m sure they’ve forgotten it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Apparently, Harrison included some digs at Gilliam in the lyrics, having grown frustrated with their working relationship.

Greedy feeling wheeling dealing
Losing what you won

Those lines, in particular, are directed at Gilliam. In retrospect, Terry realized it, and saw it as an example of Harrison’s class and integrity.

2 Likes

Dunno, the Fisher King, 12 Monkeys, and Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas seem rather noteworthy.

At least, he isn’t a twit like John Cleese.

8 Likes

Time Bandits will always be special to me because it was the first movie I ever got to go to with “just friends”, no grownups.

6 Likes

He also gets decapitated by the sheet of glass in The Omen II, and is the mad scientist with paper-thin walls in The Man With Two Brains. Not only is he good in everything, but almost everything he’s in is good. Even his appearance in the turd Star Trek V is offset by him playing a completely different character in the quite good Star Trek VI.

But Evil is for sure my favorite role of his.

5 Likes

“Lasers! Day ONE!”

5 Likes

I was also always struck by the line “No one created me” in TB and the MCP in Tron “No one user created me”

Also the horse scenes in TB and in Fisher King kinda resonated too.

1 Like

“Sorry!”

2 Likes

Robin Hood: “The Poor? Have you met The Poor? Marvellous people!”

(To Supreme Being): “Yessir! Very generous of you, sir!”
Supreme Being: “Yes, well. I am the nice one.”

So many good lines. Last time it was on UK telly I finally got my girlfriend to watch it and she laughed a lot. Especially at:

(Mum trying to return to burning house) “I have to save the blender!”

5 Likes

tumblr_mpb2mkw54c1r4zr8xo5_250

6 Likes

This was my favorite movie in 1981. I was the only one in my school who had seen it, so I had to obsess over it by myself, buying the published script (with lots of great production photos!) and once it aired on cable sitting next to the TV with an audio cassette recorder so I could listen to it any time I wanted. I hadn’t seen it in 35 years or so when I saw this post, so I watched it again the other night. It’s amazing how much came flooding back, and how much of the dialogue I could recite from memories that should have been long-gone.

Immediately bought the Criterion blu-ray.

5 Likes

Same here. Those CED were horrible to use–loud as hell when they spun up, scratched, horrible clumsy caddies, short run times per side, bad audio–but hey were cheap.

Oh, and they weren’t laser discs, those were much nicer–and more expensive.

1 Like

I was just thinking while watching this that the “dated” practical effects still work so well, and I much prefer to whatever cold, heartless CGI the FX team would have typed up had it been made today.

2 Likes

Gilliam has always been expert at organic SFX. Watching the documentary Lost in La Mancha is a treat for those who have an appreciation for what some directors and producers go through to get a movie made, but seeing how he works his way around certain issues of viewpoint, like the giant, is really cool.

3 Likes

This is the desktop image on my laptop:

8 Likes

David Warner also played three different characters in Star Trek.

And he did the voice for The Lobe on Freakazoid!

2 Likes

I have no comment on whether or not Cleese is a twit. But, Gilliam’s comments about the Me Too movement, Weinstein, and “white men being blamed for everything” certainly put him in the category of jackass, at the very least. He’s made some great films, but he’s ended up just another bitter, old white man, and it’s time he shut the hell up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.