Time-lapse of Juno's Jupiter fly-by

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/27/time-lapse-of-junos-jupiter.html

6 Likes

Simply dumbfounding. Made me realize I have never seen any planet in the solar system, besides Earth, shown in this rolling-beneath-us sort of way. The sense of mass, of presence, the scale of it… Extraordinary.

11 Likes

Now I know how the crew of Discovery One felt.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Terrified?

More thrilled. In the book everything was still going well at this point.

1 Like

In the book they were on the way to Saturn.

1 Like

That made me laugh out loud.

1 Like

But they had a close encounter with Jupiter, using it for a gravity assist. Clarke describes the view the crew sees from the window. It made me think of this.

3 Likes

Crew is a bit of an overstatement, isn’t it - if I remember (the movie) correctly, by the time the Discovery reached Jupiter, Dave Bowman was the only one left.

(It seems like that’s the destiny of Daves in space.)

Well I was thinking of the book, where they use Jupiter’s gravity as an assist to reach Saturn. Clarke describes them accelerating towards the planet as it gets bigger snd bigger in the window. At that point I believe everyone was still alive.

As a side note, the book ends at Saturn. I read somewhere that Kubrick ended the film at Jupiter because the effects crew couldn’t make Saturn’s rings look convincing enough.

1 Like

So that’s why they said we shouldn’t keep saying everything is “awesome”.

2 Likes

I still think its difficult to conceive. When we see videos of planets, I think we almost instinctively think of them as “Earth-sized”. Yet Jupiter is 11x the diameter, 1300x the volume of Earth. It’s really difficult to grasp this without an Earth for scale (albeit, not too close or the tidal forces will rip the Earth-for-scale apart).

What I find really cool is the almost mathematical spacing and lineup of the equitorial storms (?). Not quite a Fibonacci sequence, but still aesthetically pleasing.

Gorgeous…

1 Like

You can send machines there, if you want. And they’ll land and give you lots of photos and video.

All it takes is money and time. Everything else is already there.

That place has some messed-up weather. It looks super turbulent.

Using this newly found context, imagine how much more intense an activity like this actually would be like:

Well, anything would have helped “2010.” :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.