Tiny handmade knitting machine by Maartje Boer

Originally published at: Tiny handmade knitting machine by Maartje Boer | Boing Boing

4 Likes

It’s cute, but it’s not actually knitting :cry:

7 Likes

Yeah - that’s what I wondered. The resident knitting expert is not available to consult right now, but it did not look to me to be doing any actual knitting.

2 Likes

It’s obvious it’s not knitting anything, the number of loops on either needle do not change. Let’s just call it the “Knitting Machine Prank”.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Human slaves were easier to obtain. (In folklore, elves were Not Nice.)

I don’t mind that it doesn’t knit. Dolls and toys aren’t actually alive, but they stoke the imagination. Portraits aren’t the actual person, but rather a selective representation that may ignore some qualities of the person and introduce other aspects that only the artist sees in their imagination.

True this “knitting machine” doesn’t actually knit, but I love it anyway. It’s totally cute! And playful! And cheerful yellow! And miniature! And handmade of wire!

One of the typical measures of a successful artwork is Does it engage the viewer? I’d say that probably anyone who knits or who has a mechanical mind will naturally engage with it and try to figure out if it could or couldn’t actually knit—I certainly did.

Anyway, I find it delightful. Even though I do knit myself, a fanciful “knitting” machine is alright with me.

7 Likes

I did some historical research into knitting once.

Archeologists - “We decide what is and isn’t knitting, fight us.”
Historians - “No, we decide what knitting is and also when it happened and we all disagree with each other vehemently.”
Knitters - “This is what I call knitting, but you can call whatever that is knitting if you want to. I won’t get mad, fam.”

(I recognize that people producing reference work need to have standards, definitions and categories, and contentious dialogue is part of how that evolves, but I found it amusingly apropos that the crafters were such a relatively calm and friendly community.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.